Metric???

3Dface

ok... being raised in the U.S. i have always used the "Imperial" standard of measurement until i started scrolling.

still when using store bought frames i stick to that standard but have found 180mm is easier to read than 7 3/32 because i have have trouble with getting confused with the different size lines. (although Dyslexia may have a little to do with it :cry::D)

i assume i am one of few in the U.S. but would love to know.

1 hour ago, dgman said:

I still use the old Imperial measurements. I'm too old to change. As far as frames, I make my own to fit the project rather than trying to size the project to a frame.

Thanks DG

i am still learning how to make frames. most portrait orders i have had have been for 8x10s but i have loved the challenge of making frames .  i may even understand how to be consistent one day.

All my frames are made in my shop. I still use the Imperial measurements to do the rough cuts etc. I'm sort of familiar with the metric system and it seems things are all headed that way. Cars started switching over to the metrics in the 1970's and are completely metric now. Hated when that happen being a mechanic I had to purchase tons of metric wrenches sockets and stuff. 

I'll agree with Frank, metric is intuitively easy.  That said I am comfortable in both.  But then again I was a military brat and retired myself too, so serving all over the world probably made me more familiar.

What I find is funny, is the 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" ratchets, the square lug that extends from a metric ratchet is that SAE size.

What I hate, like the bolts on my Ex-21 table leg to machine mounting, the bolt and nut head was metric but the threads were SAE.  Now why in world would anyone special order a hybrid bolt as a manufacturer is beyond me.

I am 74 now when I was in my 60,s i got into Bicycles.Riding and repairing. I still have a bicycle shop in my basement and the 5 drawer tool cabinet is full with Metric tools.So i did not have a choice When dealing with bikes that Have japanese and Italian components you do not have a choice.

10 hours ago, Frank Pellow said:

I fully understand both Imperial and Metric but almost always use metric because it is vastly more efficient to do so.  You folks using Imperial are only slowing yourselves down and providing more chance of making errors.  And, don't say you are too old -I am 75.

Starting the learning curve from scratch, I can definitely see the advantage of the metric system.  I still have no interest in personally using it.  It doesn't slow me down at all, because I'm strictly a hobbiest and speed is at the bottom of the list of my priorities.  I'm pretty sure I could make just as many errors with the metric system as the Imperial.  It's a gift.  :)

9 hours ago, JimErn said:

I'll agree with Frank, metric is intuitively easy.  That said I am comfortable in both.  But then again I was a military brat and retired myself too, so serving all over the world probably made me more familiar.

What I find is funny, is the 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" ratchets, the square lug that extends from a metric ratchet is that SAE size.

What I hate, like the bolts on my Ex-21 table leg to machine mounting, the bolt and nut head was metric but the threads were SAE.  Now why in world would anyone special order a hybrid bolt as a manufacturer is beyond me.

I used to sell tools for a living. The system that always baffled me was the British Whitworth. That system made no sense to me at all. If I recall, the measurement was the diameter of the fastener determined the head size of the bolt or socket or wrench. In other words, if the bolt was a half inch in diameter, the size of the socket was about 3/4" but it was called a 1/2". Very confusing. Luckily, I only had to sell those to the old motorcycle shops. Nothing much else used them. At least in my territory. I think I stocked one set of sockets and one set of wrenches on my truck just for that occasional customer. I'm glad they disappeared.

Ray