New King 16

Gotrocks

Just got my new King 16 set up. Have been putting up with Delta 12, changing blade was taking most of the pleasure away.

Seem like King is going much slower speed, but cutting better.  Shown is my first project, for great, granddaughter  1 1/4 " poplar.  Used Olson spiral #4, I'm thinking another choice would have been better. ???  Looks rough to me.    Hoping some of you delightful (already been reading for a few days) people will pass on some good advice. I do have a slight problem from time to time with tremors, but if I take a short break and try to keep my hands resting on the work piece or table thing go better.

Reb scroll saw.jpg

Edited by Gotrocks
add info

Got..... Since the King is supposed to be a Excalibur clone the slower cutting might be a factor that the blade is more straight up and down (front to back) then the Delta.  Having the blade angled (front to back) makes for a more aggressive thus faster cut.  But an angled blade will cause issues with thick projects like that one.  Good job.

Welcome to the Form.  Looks pretty good to me - especially with it being a compound cut.  There was a thread or two here a while back - just before the holidays it seems - where several members shared tips and helpful information on cutting compound cuts like this.  One of them was what Fred just noted, not to use a reverse tooth blade but to use a skip tooth blade instead.  When I tried that, it made a big difference for me. I had never tried compound cuts before and those threads encouraged and helped me tremendously in giving it a try.  @CharleyL  gave some great detailed instructions in one of those threads.  I will see if I can find it and post a link back here to it.  If I don't find it, perhaps Charley or someone else can point us to it.

Looks really good. This may not be the proper way. But when I'm using a spiral blade in critical areas I like to get as close to the line without taking it. The I come back and sneak up on it by barely and I mean barely shaving it with the blade something I can't really do with flat blade. This is time consuming tho. But it works.

Most important. Congrats on that new saw!!

Edited by Brianr24

Scrollin' faster rocky causes wrecks, brother.;) Enjoy it while ya can! No doubt you have a personal relationship with your Hawk. 

Congrats on the new saw! From here on, you'll see big differences in your work. I don't use spirals a lot simply because of the reasons already mentioned. But, I've learned that tension is an important factor with spirals. 

Your project looks great! I'm sure your ggd will love it! Keep makin' sawdust! God Bless!