Walnut & Cherry Cutting Board

susieq4131

I know many of you probably made a cutting board in high school shop. I never took shop in high school, so this is my FIRST cutting board. It's made from walnut & cherry wood. It's approx size is 10" x 14" x 1". Glue is water proof and approved by FDA for indirect food contact. Finish is 100% mineral oil FDA approved.

Laminated the pieces of wood, ran through the planer, and rounded the edge with the router.

SQ

Clayton717,

Thanks! Appreciate it. These are great fun. I'm anxious to make another one. :lol:

Thought this warning was worth sharing:

I considered making an end grain cutting board, but read that you can't run them through a planer. Seems one could get injured attempting this and the planer can also be destroyed. Anyone else aware of this?

Good info about how dangerous this is at: http://thewoodwhisperer.com/end-grain-t ... he-planer/

Am I the only one that didn't know this?

SQ

Hi susieq,i would try takeing miniscule amounts of wood off at a time to minimise the kick back.I think maybe they are talking about the wood separating from it's self as on end wood is easyer to chip away rather than being cut.Myself i would do it a hair at a time ,i never knew about that but it makes sence.Just like splitting a log from the end rather than lenght wise.I was concidering a planer in the future and i'm glad you brought this to my attention.I can see how much you enjoy your work and safety is allways first period! :)

Love the board Susie. Nice job. :thumbs:

With regard to the end grain issue; one way to do it is to cut the pieces using a block stop on a chopsaw so you get them all as close to the same size as possible. When you glue it up, glue it face side down so that the pieces are as flat as possible and any variations are on the underside, then sand the whole thing using a random orbital sander rather than a planer. I've done one like this and it makes a really hard wearing chopping board - you can also get some great patterns with the endgrain. I finish mine with a foodsafe finish but Danish Oil is also considered suitable for chopping boards.

The planer will NOT like doing the end grain and, apart from blunting the blades in no time, you end up ripping chunks out of your board, especially at the edges. The problem is that doing an end grain board involves having the grain on the blocks going in all different directions so there is always going to be somewhere that is going against the blades of the planer. :cry: Trying to get a clean surface is very frustrating.

H.

amazingKevin,

I appreciate your comments, but feel it's safer to glue it up very carefully and sand it with a disk sander. I'm not willing to risk wrecking the cutting board or my planer. Seems both could happen. I don't think it's worth the risk. Can't wait to try an end grain cutting board. You will love having a a planer! I buy the rough cut lumber and plane it to any thickness I want.

SQ

Helenm2807,

Thanks! I incorrectly posted my cutting board as a flat grain. It's actually an edge grain glue up.

Thanks for the info on the end grain boards. Looking forward to giving this type of board a try. Not keen on having to sand it, but have read too many horror stories about what can happen when running end grain through a planer. I can imagine getting a good flat surface would be challenging. The end grain style certain makes a beautiful and durable board! I am determined to make one. :)

SQ

Sorry Susie, can't help you there. The most appropriate piece of kit that I have for this type of work is a hand held random orbit sander - nice and gentle, no kick back and not too expensive. Mine's got a buffer attachment so I can polish stuff too. :)

H.

LOL Yep, I have an orbital sander, too. Now that buffer attachment sounds very handy!

Good luck with all your projects you are finishing! I plan to try some local Saturday Markets next year. Trying to build up an inventory in the mean time.

SQ

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...