Packing Tape

Rockytime

I would be interested to know who started the packaging tape thingy as a blade lubricant. Been doing that for 10+ years now.

I think it was Mike M. of Flying Dutchman fame that discovered it was not the tape itself that was the lubricant but the lubricant that was appied to the tape to prevent sticking to itself. Correct me if I am wrong.

Duck tape adhesive shelving paper works the same way.

bb

1 hour ago, orangeman said:

I would be interested to know who started the packaging tape thingy as a blade lubricant. Been doing that for 10+ years now.

I think it was Mike M. of Flying Dutchman fame that discovered it was not the tape itself that was the lubricant but the lubricant that was appied to the tape to prevent sticking to itself. Correct me if I am wrong.

Duck tape adhesive shelving paper works the same way.

bb

You are absolutely correct. The same can be said for masking tape or blue painters tape. It is the top layer that is coated so that the tape does not permanently stick to itself and unrolls easily. 

9 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

You are absolutely correct. The same can be said for masking tape or blue painters tape. It is the top layer that is coated so that the tape does not permanently stick to itself and unrolls easily. 

Thank you!  I have been trying to find how the tape is a lubricant.

I was looking at the adhesive.....not.

polyvinyl carbamate   If you need a chemistry lesson, google that.

The Release Agent
The release agent is made of a complex combination of compounds of oxygen, carbon, and hydrogen.

It is the most complicated part of the tape as if it is too oily it won't stay as a tape roll and if it's too sticky, you won't be able to use the roll.
https://www.mayzo.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/PSTC-Release-Coat-Paper.pdf