EX 16 Tension Lever

wombatie

7 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

Maybe clean it good as Wayne suggests and when you put it back together put a little light grease in it where it slides on the saw.  Something like a small amount of Vaseline.  I think I read that in the manual or Seyco told me .

I think I've read to use Vaseline.. and seems there was a reason not to use grease? not sure why now.. maybe something to do with the type of plastic / nylon that the lever is made of?  I probably should do that to mine.. it had something on it when I got it but.. I wiped a lot of it off because it was all over the handle part..but the part that would need it seems to be dry..

When I put the Vaseline on mine, I release the lever, put a dab on my finger, wipe most of that back off, put in on the lever, work it back and forth a few times, then wipe it back off. That usually enough to give it a good cleaning and leave enough ‘grease’ on the lever.

Along the same lines, I might ask whether it would work the same on a Hegner. There are two small rollers that appear to be made of plastic and mine are very stiff and hard to move. They are supposed to "roll" I assume but now I'm wondering if maybe they just "slide". Either way, it's tough to move the tension lever to de-tension the arm.

Ray

I don't have any experience with the Hegner.. but I've seen the tension levers in pictures... I'd think that those rollers things should roll.. But I could be wrong... Maybe if you don't get an answer as to whether they are supposed to or not.. maybe a video on youtube you'd see if they roll on others machines.. 

Marg, I think your issue is being caused, by having the back tension lever adjusted to tight. Try loosening the back lever as you try to install a new blade, doing this will give you the setting you need to properly tension your blades. If you don't understand what I'm trying to explain here, try PMing me and I'll explain better. Good luck.

Len

2 hours ago, Lucky2 said:

Marg, I think your issue is being caused, by having the back tension lever adjusted to tight. Try loosening the back lever as you try to install a new blade, doing this will give you the setting you need to properly tension your blades. If you don't understand what I'm trying to explain here, try PMing me and I'll explain better. Good luck.

Len

Len we had the back tension knob turned right down, no tension at all.  Problem fixed now, gave it a good clean and some Vaseline and back in working order.

Marg

On 4/1/2018 at 5:26 PM, octoolguy said:

Along the same lines, I might ask whether it would work the same on a Hegner. There are two small rollers that appear to be made of plastic and mine are very stiff and hard to move. They are supposed to "roll" I assume but now I'm wondering if maybe they just "slide". Either way, it's tough to move the tension lever to de-tension the arm.

Ray

Ray, put a little mark on the edge of your rollers, next to the keeper with a Sharpie.  Just a dot.  That way you can see if they roll.  Mine do about 1/4 turn.  They roll the same all the time, i.e., they do not roll a complete revolution.  I would assume that over time that area would flatten out.  You can purchase those roller from Advanced Machinery.  I believe it is part 372 for under $3 each.  My saw came with an extra set so I'm sure they are a "wear out" part.  Or try releasing the tension on them and rotate them a little manually so they are rolling on a different area.  A good cleaning might help also.

4 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Ray, put a little mark on the edge of your rollers, next to the keeper with a Sharpie.  Just a dot.  That way you can see if they roll.  Mine do about 1/4 turn.  They roll the same all the time, i.e., they do not roll a complete revolution.  I would assume that over time that area would flatten out.  You can purchase those roller from Advanced Machinery.  I believe it is part 372 for under $3 each.  My saw came with an extra set so I'm sure they are a "wear out" part.  Or try releasing the tension on them and rotate them a little manually so they are rolling on a different area.  A good cleaning might help also.

Thanks for your advice. I will check that out and see if that's the problem. It just seems like it takes a lot of force to move that lever and in my estimation, it shouldn't be that tough. I'll do as you say.

Ray