Glue Up For Puzzles ( Poplar Wood)

kmmcrafts

Last fall I purchased a nice bundle of Poplar with nice wide boards at a local wood expo sale.. Awesome deals by the way.. Anyway I had in my mind to start doing the puzzles like Iggy and the others do.. The bundle I purchased got lost and most likely someone walked off with it as they couldn't find it anywhere.. They ended up offering a refund or having the option to get double the board foot.. I choose another couple bundles.. but there wasn't much of any nice wide boards.. but I figured I could use it or make it work for something else.. Now that I've used some of the wood.. I don't really like Poplar for any of my other projects I make.. Just don't give my clocks a "wow" factor like Cherry Oak, and Walnut does.. While I think it looks great for the puzzles.. I've used all I can with the puzzles.. now I have a pile of lumber.. guessing about 30 ish board foot.. that is too narrow for any of the puzzle patterns I have to fit.. 

Guess I could try to glue up some and see how it looks / works.. I do glue ups from time to time for backers and whatnot that isn't the main piece.. I dislike seeing wood grain that is clearly seen as a glue up and not really matching grain.. I just wonder with the puzzles and all the pieces would help distract the glue line.. 

Anyone do this that makes the puzzles?  I guess if nothing else.. I've got 30 BFT of campfire wood, LOL

Kevin, I make several puzzles and I only use scraps. You can call me tight if you like.  In the end I don't save any money if I would figure my time.

It's funny how sometimes what we like we think other people should like. I have made some projects out of poplar that people have loved. A lot of times I will stain it.

I think you could be over analyzing the effect of the glue joint with the puzzles. 99% of people would never even notice except you and maybe the wife because they are so cut up anyway. If it's fairly good stock, might not even have to joint and plane.  Be a better use than firewood.

Blake

I'll glue it up and see how it comes out... I'm pretty conservative so i'll find a use for it.. I think it'll be okay with making the puzzles.. 

Aside from puzzles... though.. to me... it's better suited for fire wood.. That is about how much I like it, LOL... Not a big fan of stained projects myself.. While many projects look decent that are stained.. I just don't care for staining..

Ah yes poplar. One of those woods that you love to hate. With it's color variations from near aspen to ebony with some green thrown in, it's a challenge. Used it a lot in painted cabinetry because of it's ease of sanding, cutting, relative hardness and availability. Once in awhile, you'll see a piece that has one of the most beautiful grain patterns and color imaginable. So as with any lumber, it has it's uses and sneaks into some of my projects.

Blake

ive done glue ups for puzzles using poplar. sometimes i dont even notice after. sometimes i line it up to have a different grain for the head.

poplar is a very versatile wood.it can be stained to mimic cherry and mahogany. its also very stable and good to use for projects that are getting painted. it is used for trim/casework that is going to be painted in many high end homes.

the TOM foundation- a non profit organization helping people named "tom" in my shop further their woodworking skills- just so happens to be accpeting donations of poplar at this time. :)

Edited by tomsteve

My brother is a cabinet maker and the company he works for makes and sets up showcase displays all over the USA.. They did a big job in the Mall Of America several years ago... anyway.. much of the displays are made from Poplar and stained whatever color / wood type the customers want.. Not sure if the customers know they are getting Poplar or if it's known up front and they are given options for "real" cherry or walnut etc.. but at any rate.. They never can tell the difference.. 

I like working with poplar... I just don't care for the "look" of poplar in it's natural state... and I am not a big fan of staining etc.. so I'm trying to find use's for this smaller stuff I have since I will not use it for my clocks.. and most the puzzle patterns are bigger than the width of the boards I have.. but anyway.. I'll glue them up so I can make a few more puzzles..

Oh another thing I like about Poplar.... It's cheap... compared to my Cherry, Oak, and Walnut that I typically use, LOL  

Maybe I need to learn to like staining at the price difference :lol: