Don't Wait

orangeman

Don't wait to remove that Duck brand shelf paper from puzzle pieces! I waited 4 days and it was very difficult to remove.

I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to apply packaging tape in addition to the shelf paper for extended blade life? Comments?

justdraftn posted earlier:

(The release agent is) polyvinyl carbamate   If you need a chemistry lesson, google that.

The Release Agent
The release agent is made of a complex combination of compounds of oxygen, carbon, and hydrogen.

It is the most complicated part of the tape as if it is too oily it won't stay as a tape roll and if it's too sticky, you won't be able to use the roll.
https://www.mayzo.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/PSTC-Release-Coat-Paper.pdf

Now, I wonder what the state of CA thinks about that compound? And when they will require warning statements on tape and shelf paper!

bb

Edited by orangeman
additinal info

3 minutes ago, Phantom Scroller said:

I use 2" sellotape on all my projects on top of the pattern which I stick on with repositionable spray glue. Works for me easy to get off. Roly

Yes, I will do that on puzzles that I do not color with food colors.

I switched to shelf paper for the colored puzzles because the shelf paper does not leave a residue on the wood like repositionable adhesive does.

The adhesive is difficult to remove and causes blotching with the food colors.

bb

2 hours ago, orangeman said:

Don't wait to remove that Duck brand shelf paper from puzzle pieces! I waited 4 days and it was very difficult to remove.

I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to apply packaging tape in addition to the shelf paper for extended blade life? Comments?

justdraftn posted earlier:

(The release agent is) polyvinyl carbamate   If you need a chemistry lesson, google that.

The Release Agent
The release agent is made of a complex combination of compounds of oxygen, carbon, and hydrogen.

It is the most complicated part of the tape as if it is too oily it won't stay as a tape roll and if it's too sticky, you won't be able to use the roll.
https://www.mayzo.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/PSTC-Release-Coat-Paper.pdf

Now, I wonder what the state of CA thinks about that compound? And when they will require warning statements on tape and shelf paper!

bb

That's strange. I put some on a piece and then set it down for a few weeks before I was able to get back to it. After cutting, it peeled right off. 

Ray

I had only one time that I've had a problem with shelf liner.. I speculate that was because the BB ply was covered and ready for cutting for over a year with the shelf liner on it... But I will many times start a project and then get side tracked with orders.. never had any issue even after 3-4 weeks... I'm not certain what brand I use.. I just bought 5 rolls from Walmart yesterday.. Thinking it was a lot more money than the last time I bought it.. $5.** per roll of 12" x 36' ... was thinking it was $3.48 ish the last time I bought it... about a year ago.. I'd have bought more this time had they had more in stock.. I almost always buy them out when I get some, LOL

2 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

This is an issue and I believe I had mentioned this in another thread about tapes but the longer you leave tape on a project the tougher it can become to get off. I have seen it before with blue painters tape and others. 

I've seen the same thing! left some packaging tape on a board for a month and then tried to remove. Impossible without mineral spirits and a lot of sanding.

bb

2 minutes ago, orangeman said:

I've seen the same thing! left some packaging tape on a board for a month and then tried to remove. Impossible without mineral spirits and a lot of sanding.

bb

Packing tape I agree is a problem if you leave it on for long periods, but shelf paper so far no issues for me

It could be possible that shelf paper has something different in it and may change brand to brand. But also I notice if I do not finish a project I will always place a weight on top of some sort so that there is no warping till I get a finish on it and I have no idea sometimes when I will get back to the project. This can have a negative effect on the tape also making it harder to get off.  I found a few years ago at a garage sale there was a painter selling tons of his left over stuff because he retired and was moving. I bought more blue tape than I can ever use in a lifetime so that is what I will be using forever. Bought a bunch of good quality brushes and scrapers and tons of razor blades and tarps and anything else associated with painters. He wanted to sell and I was willing to buy. :)