How Did You Get Here???

I did all the usual mummy crafts, knitting, sewing, embroidery, etc.  But was never 100% happy with what I did.  Fast forward too many years, I still went to show that sold beads, quilting material etc. and my husband always came with me.  One year he asked if I would like to go to the Melbourne Working With Wood Show, they sold wood, finishes, large machinery, all things related to wood.  Anyway off we went with me really not looking forward to it but low and behold I thoroughly enjoyed myself.  At this time I was also doing tole painting with a group of other ladies and our 'teacher' was always asking Terry for different shapes that he would cut on the band saw or jig saw.  We also went to a wood turning exhibition and it was the first time that it actually hit me that women could actually be really good at wood turning so I started to have lessons and I got quite good at it.  One day we went to Melbourne and came home with a scroll saw so that Terry could cut shapes for the tole classes but 2 weeks later it all folded and I lost interest in painting and Terry never got to use his new scroll saw.  One Sunday I took him a cup of tea into the garage and looked at the scroll saw and asked how it worked, he showed me, I messed about with it and the following week I got a book on scrolling.  Never one to read anything like how to sections, I found a pattern I like sticky taped it down and cut it, I was hooked.  I still have that first piece.  Most of what I sell is by word of mouth, I make enough to keep in in wood and blades that's all I need.
That first saw was a 16" Delta and I worked it to death, I sold it last year for $50 to a guy that was rebuilding his, so it lives to cut a bit more.

Marg

At five years of age, found some scraps of lumber in my grandfathers garage and banged together a little table with a hammer and some nails. Probably couldn't support a 2 ounce vase, but the adults in my life told me it was terrific. Now my other grandfather was a master carpenter and furniture maker from Germany who was trained in the old apprentice style of learning. He retired to a little farm in Southwest Michigan from the hustle and bustle of Chicago to his village type roots. Hearing about my fabulous table on a visit, he walked me back to an outbuilding which was his shop. There was a magnificent workbench that he had made using all hand tools without a single metal fastener using mortise and tenons etc, etc.. This was typically a must build for any master of woodworking in Germany. So the love for what one can do with wood was impressed into my five year old brain and has been ever since. So throughout my life, even though I've had other careers, hobbies and pursuits, I've always somehow had a wood project going. And now in my later years, scrolling is the perfect answer for the technical and artistic things one can achieve with this beautiful thing called wood.

I guess it's my turn. Started out as an aircraft mechanic. Migrated over to sales and marketing for aircraft services that involved a lot of traveling. My wife and I are house-a-holics and are always working on some DIY home improvements. My collection of tools continued to grow and would occasionally tackle some furniture projects. One day I needed a scroll saw for a project and then it sat forlorn for many years. It's been almost 5 years since I retired and I used to play a fair amount of golf. One winter in 2014, I slipped on some Ice and that ended my golf career. I was in need of something to keep me busy that was also creative. One evening, friends came for dinner and brought one of their friends. He showed us pictures of his scroll saw work. I thought to myself, I can do that! I remembered I still had that old sears scroll saw hiding somewhere in the basement.   Pulled it out along with some scrap wood and proceeded to create my first masterpiece. (not really!) Addiction and frustration kicked in. Loved the cutting but hated the Sears saw. Broke down and invested in a Excalibur and never looked back. I typically don't  sell what I make but gift my work. I love the relaxation and focus of cutting wood.

9 hours ago, ScollSaw Slasher said:

At five years of age, found some scraps of lumber in my grandfathers garage and banged together a little table with a hammer and some nails. Probably couldn't support a 2 ounce vase, but the adults in my life told me it was terrific. Now my other grandfather was a master carpenter and furniture maker from Germany who was trained in the old apprentice style of learning. He retired to a little farm in Southwest Michigan from the hustle and bustle of Chicago to his village type roots. Hearing about my fabulous table on a visit, he walked me back to an outbuilding which was his shop. There was a magnificent workbench that he had made using all hand tools without a single metal fastener using mortise and tenons etc, etc.. This was typically a must build for any master of woodworking in Germany. So the love for what one can do with wood was impressed into my five year old brain and has been ever since. So throughout my life, even though I've had other careers, hobbies and pursuits, I've always somehow had a wood project going. And now in my later years, scrolling is the perfect answer for the technical and artistic things one can achieve with this beautiful thing called wood.

I hope you still have Grandpa's bench. What a treasure to have.

Ray

I grew up around tools my Dad was a toolmaker (machinist) my Mom was a seamstress and the techno junkie. German immigrants we didn't have much so we made a lot of things. 

At 15 I built my own hydroplane and always like working with wood and metal.  In 2003 three I designed an built a shed in my backyard. Round top door and all. I decided that it needed some ginger bread under the peak. I had inherited my Dad's Craftsman scroll saw so found a design I liked and enlarged it to an appropriate scale. Learned lots of things  Throat depth and easy Blade change were important. It took a couple of minutes for a few second cut. But it gave me a taste for the scroll saw.  I joined a local woodworking club and saw an image of a Volker Arnold ornament on the cover one of their newsletters.  It reminded me of the stuff our relatives sent us from Germany every Christmas. My wife bought me a Delta SS350 for my BD. Simple fast blade changes and off I went, started selling ornaments at our Church Christmas fair. My hobby attention span has always been short, but scrolling really bit me in the butt. In 2005 I bought my Hawk G4 26.it has since paid for most of the tools in my workshop. (only one fair a year), In 2010 I started test cutting for SSWWC magazine. They have challenged me with projects that I probably would not normally have taken on. They opened my mind to try almost anything at least once,  I love challenging projects it keeps the hobby fresh for me.

I never would have thought that this hobby would take me where it has. One additional huge plus has been all of the friends all over the country and world that I have made. And even better have met some  of you at shows and scrolling events.

Moon boy bringing home the treetree.JPG

DSCN1405.JPG

Edited by Rolf

4 hours ago, Rolf said:

I grew up around tools my Dad was a toolmaker (machinist) my Mom was a seamstress and the techno junkie. German immigrants we didn't have much so we made a lot of things. 

At 15 I built my own hydroplane and always like working with wood and metal.  In 2003 three I designed an built a shed in my backyard. Round top door and all. I decided that it needed some ginger bread under the peak. I had inherited my Dad's Craftsman scroll saw so found a design I liked and enlarged it to an appropriate scale. Learned lots of things  Throat depth and easy Blade change were important. It took a couple of minutes for a few second cut. But it gave me a taste for the scroll saw.  I joined a local woodworking club and saw an image of a Volker Arnold ornament on the cover one of their newsletters.  It reminded me of the stuff our relatives sent us from Germany every Christmas. My wife bought me a Delta SS350 for my BD. Simple fast blade changes and off I went, started selling ornaments at our Church Christmas fair. My hobby attention span has always been short, but scrolling really bit me in the butt. In 2005 I bought my Hawk G4 26.it has since paid for most of the tools in my workshop. (only one fair a year), In 2010 I started test cutting for SSWWC magazine. They have challenged me with projects that I probably would not normally have taken on. They opened my mind to try almost anything at least once,  I love challenging projects it keeps the hobby fresh for me.

I never would have thought that this hobby would take me where it has. One additional huge plus has been all of the friends all over the country and world that I have made. And even better have met some  of you at shows and scrolling events.

Moon boy bringing home the treetree.JPG

DSCN1405.JPG

Beautiful stuff Rolf. You are the "Master".

Ray

On 4/8/2018 at 4:01 AM, blights69 said:

This has been a good thread. Alot to learn from, different opinions about the hobby, some selling, some donate, some don't. Over the years, I've learned everybody doesn't have the same cutting technique, different preferences of blades, etc. That's how we learn from each other. 

I've sold some of my work, gave away A LOT of it bcause I ran out of room for new cuttings. Been commissioned to do several different kinds of work, like most of you have. That is one of the main things that fascinates me about about this hobby. And the people we meet a long the journey. Isn't it great how it's like one big family?

My interest in the trades began with my Dad. He was a Baptist preacher that always worked a second job to make ends meet. I often went with him on his various remodel jobs. I got into to construction out of high school in 1971 as an electrical apprentice. I have been involved in that trade in some fashion since then. My Dad and I were walking  thru a Sears store and saw a 21" Craftsman scroll saw  for sale at 100.00. I bought it and  took it home where it sat for  ~ 10 years. I saw a you tube  video about a guy making a wooden gear clock and we were off to the races. Started reading everything I could about scroll sawing. Tried to use it for putting the sound holes in my dulcimers and discovered that I needed a lot more practice. I enjoy fret work,especially clocks. I just purchased a Woodbury cuckoo clock pattern hoping to make one with a mechanical movement. I also have several patterns for more wooden gear clocks. My wife got me one of the new King saws last year for Christmas. It sure is an improvement over the old Craftsman. Looking forward to a bunch more scrolling.

Phil

I have to say this thread has been some of the most enjoyable reading I have done here. It is great that many people remember exactly when, how and who influenced them. It seems these same people are still enjoying this great hobby after many years and some maybe just beginning. To be able to take an artform and transform it into a 3D rendering of hand made work. The sense of accomplishment when done and to top it off people want to give you money for your efforts. To see the smiles on peoples faces when they see your work and purchase it weather it is a gift for giving or for themselves. It is a great accomplishment to go into the shop and smell the scent of wood dust and fumes of finishing agents and the sounds of the saws make it all so real and fantastic. To be able to sit in front of this machine for hours on end and turn out project after project. Maybe give some away or donate for raffles or just for fun it still is pretty amazing what we scrollers can do. 

I want to thank the fellow scrollers that shared their stories here and hope others will add to them and take the time to read what got others to this calm and relaxing place, behind a simple machine that all it does is makes a thin small blade go up and down and at the back end some wonderful projects emerge. Happy Scrolling. 

@JTTHECLOCKMAN John, I agree I have enjoyed reading people’s stories. Thanks for asking and thanks to those who have shared so far. However, I just did a review back through this full thread and unless I am mistaken, I did not see where you had shared your story yet. :huh: I believe in your fist post In starting the thread, you noted you were going to wait for the thread to get started and would then share your story later. So, how about it, how did you become the clockman? Who influenced you?  Why did you start to sell? Inquiring minds. ;) (If you already did Sherri and I missed it, I apologize and feel free to tell me and I will go back and review again. :oops:)