puzzle questions

OK I plan on doing a couple puzzles this year as I mentioned a few posts ago. My questions are as follows. For those that do puzzles that require placing photos or other paper on the wood and scrolling it to make a picture puzzle what type glue do you use to adhere it and has it held up well over the years??  I was thinking 3M77. Also again with picture puzzles what do you find is a good top coat to protect the picture?? Again I was thinking a satin watco lacquer. Last question is The only type puzzles I will be doing will be picture puzzles and I will be using BB plywood. Do you seal the wood in anyway after you cut the puzzle? Do you top coat the picture before you cut or after you cut in order to seal the ends of the cut pieces too??  Or do you top coat and then dip pieces in something after you cut them??

Basically asking your procedure if you make picture puzzles. I wish I had saved some of Carters tips when he use to explain his Christmas card puzzles. Thanks. This is something new to me that I want to add to inventory.

4 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

OK I plan on doing a couple puzzles this year as I mentioned a few posts ago. My questions are as follows. For those that do puzzles that require placing photos or other paper on the wood and scrolling it to make a picture puzzle what type glue do you use to adhere it and has it held up well over the years??  I was thinking 3M77. Also again with picture puzzles what do you find is a good top coat to protect the picture?? Again I was thinking a satin watco lacquer. Last question is The only type puzzles I will be doing will be picture puzzles and I will be using BB plywood. Do you seal the wood in anyway after you cut the puzzle? Do you top coat the picture before you cut or after you cut in order to seal the ends of the cut pieces too??  Or do you top coat and then dip pieces in something after you cut them??

Basically asking your procedure if you make picture puzzles. I wish I had saved some of Carters tips when he use to explain his Christmas card puzzles. Thanks. This is something new to me that I want to add to inventory.

Yes to 3M 77

top coat with a clear glaze before cutting. Krylon makes one. Someone makes a triple thick glaze (Carter used triple).

No need to seal again after cutting.

bb

Edited by orangeman

Aleen's Crystal Clear spray adhesive (Carter Johnson used the liquid version). Krylon Triple Thick Glaze for the top coat. No wood sealing after cutting. 

Make sure you have an even coat of adhesive and complete coverage. If not the cutting can pull up the edges of paper. After applying the paper to wood I use a wallpaper seam roller to get good contact between the two materials.