Step Tape

Vector01

I'm working on a larger version of Travis's xmas tree pattern with lights for the wife. I ran into situation where I needed to enlarge the slot in the base for the tree and clean up the holes for the lights. My needle files were too small and my wood files were too big.

So I went into the old toolbox for some inspiration. I came across some step tape I used to use for adapting grips on my pistols. Going back to the table I grabbed three craft popsicle sticks, glued them together, and cut a piece of step tape and stuck it on. This made a great sander for enlarging the slot in the base. I now needed something round for the holes in the tree. A pencil was to big so I found a paintbrush. I cut a piece of step tape and attached it to the brush handle. Worked like a charm.

You can find step tape at most hardware stores. It's also sold as skate board tape at sporting good stores. They sell it by the foot or roll it's about 80 grit and has an adhesive backing.

[attachment=0]stepweb.jpg[/attachment]