Old Syle Hawk VS Control Box?

kmmcrafts

Well the old style controller is in fact different than the new one.. So my guess is Hawk cannot get the parts for the control box since the company that makes the motors are still in business.. Anyone recognize any of the parts inside this thing LOL.. I'd like to learn how to repair the problematic old Hawk motor / controllers..  

P.S. I've heard of a few folks that completely bypassed the controller and wired direct.. which gave them full speed... I run this saw on high anyway.. but not sure if directly wired is faster than high speed and would burn it up or not..  I may take this to the small motor shop and see what those folks have to say about it.. 

7CB08932-4361-494B-BEA2-BAAF837AF035.jpeg

3D20E652-4DCF-4931-832D-C40A4625A3BF.jpeg

02BDFC36-7F10-42B4-A555-E3D16BB31AFD.jpeg

BB0BE71B-03E4-4ED6-BD8C-E14993E169A3.jpeg

Edited by kmmcrafts

Under the heat sink  (lower right corner of the first pix) will be one (Probably a voltage regulator) I would suspect.  I see an LM2907 chip that is a common one.  Can't see what the other chip is.  Other than that, all the caps and resistors might be problems but I doubt it.  Look for bad solder joints and look at the crimps on the wire connectors. 

It not a very complex board, but without a circuit drawing we are kind of blind.

Edited by GrampaJim

14 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Kevin, can you see the names of the mfgrs. on the two controllers. I know that I contacted one of them, I can't recall which one now, and they told me to send them the controller and they would try to repair it. 

Ray

I'll have to look closer at it and see.. but I don't see anything on the top side of it.. there is a couple screws holding it down.. was kind of worried about disturbing it more or breaking it, LOL.. as the saw works fine as long as I don't mess with the dial. and keep it off full speed.. on the other hand I don't want the power surge to burn up the motor.. which is why I was messing with it to begin with.. 

1 hour ago, GrampaJim said:

Under the heat sink  (lower right corner of the first pix) will be one (Probably a voltage regulator) I would suspect.  I see an LM2907 chip that is a common one.  Can't see what the other chip is.  Other than that, all the caps and resistors might be problems but I doubt it.  Look for bad solder joints and look at the crimps on the wire connectors. 

It not a very complex board, but without a circuit drawing we are kind of blind.

Thanks Jim, I'll look it over more and see if I find any loose connections.. I think I'll clean up the spade connections.. I didn't  notice yesterday but looking in my picture they look like they are rusty.. Doubt that is the issue but either way it should be cleaned up I would think..  

In one of the Bushton videos, there is an off hand mention that they had connection issues with the controller to motor on the VS and fixed it on the BM series by hard wiring them instead of using connectors.  Not sure what that means exactly, but might be something to explore.

Back is the day, when more things used variable resistors (pots) we used a product call Tuner Wash, kind of an electronic contact cleaner.  If you google tuner cleaner or check Amazon there are a bunch of brands that may fix  your speed control.  Of course this stuff cost more than the part, but you would not have to remove and un-solder it