EX-21

GrampaJim

What size you talking about?  For me.. I wouldn't go that high on a 16"  as in my opinion.. it's worth the extra $100 for the brand new King ( same saw ) with warranty etc.. .. Highly doubt being an Anniversary one really adds any kind of value.. same as any other of the saws other than the paint scheme.. and badges.. Though some may like the cool gold lettering and the scheme and maybe that is worth more to them..

A 21" saw or the 30" yes.. I'd pay that for a nice lightly used one...

Anyway.. that's just me.. Some would be happy to get a $500 Ex-16 and save a hundred.. If it was REAL SLIGHTLY used.. Personally I wouldn't buy a brand new boxed EX-16 for any more than $400 unless if was from a store that would back the warranty.. or accept returns for up to 90 days etc.. I might have a different opinion on that is the King saws hadn't came out at a reasonable price..   

I read in the original post title "EX-21".  I agree with Kevin, I would not go that high on a 16" and I agree the "Excalibur Limited Production Anniversary" does not increase value to me, but for a " pristine, hardly used one", 21" I may.  The Ex is a fine saw.  I'd want to run it first and check it out thoroughly at that price but if all is as it appears... it is a great saw and like knew ones are going to become hard to come by.  Just my opinion not worth much, for sure.

Just to add,  If it has a stand or not would make a difference in the price tag too.. Even if you're not interested in the stand.. Last Nov. I bought a EX-21 still sealed in the box for $350.. came with the foot switch but no stand.. so by the time I got a stand for it I had $450 ish into it.. I had a stand to mount it on ( cheap Harbor Freight ) and the stand was too small.. so I mounted a 3/4" plywood to the stand and then the saw to that.. but it made the saw vibrate quite a lot.. The purchase of the actual EX stand made a night and day difference for me..The stands run $120 ish for a new one.. I was able to find one that someone else had and didn't use.. so I got the stand a little cheaper.. but still around $100 with shipping etc.   

4 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Just to add,  If it has a stand or not would make a difference in the price tag too.. Even if you're not interested in the stand.. Last Nov. I bought a EX-21 still sealed in the box for $350.. came with the foot switch but no stand.. so by the time I got a stand for it I had $450 ish into it.. I had a stand to mount it on ( cheap Harbor Freight ) and the stand was too small.. so I mounted a 3/4" plywood to the stand and then the saw to that.. but it made the saw vibrate quite a lot.. The purchase of the actual EX stand made a night and day difference for me..The stands run $120 ish for a new one.. I was able to find one that someone else had and didn't use.. so I got the stand a little cheaper.. but still around $100 with shipping etc.   

That's very interesting Kevin. Why do you suppose the stand with the plywood made for vibration? Was the wood too flexible or not heavy enough? My Dewalt saw came on an original tubular steel stand. It was what they made prior to the sheet metal stands that are available now. Anyway, I tried using that stand. I added a plywood top to it but it didn't seem to make any difference. I hated having to stand to use it and my stool isn't comfortable enough to sit on it for long periods. So, I ended up building a very heavy wood stand for it that I can sit at using an old office chair. No more vibration. 

Ray

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

That's very interesting Kevin. Why do you suppose the stand with the plywood made for vibration? Was the wood too flexible or not heavy enough? My Dewalt saw came on an original tubular steel stand. It was what they made prior to the sheet metal stands that are available now. Anyway, I tried using that stand. I added a plywood top to it but it didn't seem to make any difference. I hated having to stand to use it and my stool isn't comfortable enough to sit on it for long periods. So, I ended up building a very heavy wood stand for it that I can sit at using an old office chair. No more vibration. 

Ray

I think I could have gotten the vibration to a manageable point with the set-up I had with a lot of tweaking.. But the small stand I had even adjusted out as large as it would go still had quite a small footprint compared to the larger footprint of the saw.. Some of this was where I mounted the saw to the plywood I had.. It ended up being a little too far to the front and to one side of the stand .. which made it not put the weight down onto the 4 legs evenly..

I just did a real quick mounting up to that stand as I was excited to try the saw out.. and it was like 15F out in the shop at that time.. and I wanted to just set it up hassle free.. I think one could get good results off one of those cheaper light weight stands.. I just wasn't in any mood to fuss with it.. and I really wanted the matching stand for the saw... The cheap stand also didn't set up to a comfortable height for my stool I use.. I only have one stool for 5 saws, LOL .. 

11 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

. . . I only have one stool for 5 saws, LOL .. 

Umm, Kevin - I think its time to invest in another stool or two then.  Or perhaps, make one or two.;)  Think of the time you will save not having to drag that one stool around  - after all, time is money. ;)

Yeah, my shop doesn't have heat... other than a small propane "buddy heater" radiant heater.. and I work out there pretty much year round.. Not too bad in the shop until mid January once the concrete floor cools off to those cold winter temps.. On a plus side.. if I keep it shut up that cold floor acts as a air conditioner though about mid late summer..:lol:.. seriously feels like an air-conditioned shop  in the summer. and that floor somewhat heats the shop through my busy season... 

All that said.. I hope to ad heat to at least a portion of the shop in the next year or so.. Maybe this year.. but as usual.. Murphy has been tampering with my cars ( head gaskets ) and it's a big labor intensive job... common problem with this car..  but checking around the cost was $1800 ish to have that done.. I can get a new motor with 100,000 mile warranty for around $2000 LOL..

I'm going to do the job myself and have around $500 in parts.. been there done it a couple times so I know how.. just didn't want to... as making sawdust is much more fun, LOL    

3 minutes ago, meflick said:

Umm, Kevin - I think its time to invest in another stool or two then.  Or perhaps, make one or two.;)  Think of the time you will save not having to drag that one stool around  - after all, time is money. ;)

On a plus side.. all but one saw is right next to each other.. I think what I need is some wheels on the one I have.. and a small motor:lol: 

Maybe just make one like this one.. then I just start it up and drive around to each shop tool.. wouldn't need to get up at all :lol:  

Big+Chicken+Barstool+Racer.jpg