Skip reverse blade

Sydney

When cutting 1/4" to 1/2" Oak , Maple, Walnut etc. etc. which skip reserve blade does the best job?

I realize all the different variables experience type of saw, wood, production or just a hobby. But what do you prefer Flying Dutchmen Olson or Pegas.

Which is the least aggressive one? 

Once again thanks for the help.

well, there are several ways your questions can be answered. I've used Flying Dutchman & Olson blades for years. If you're cutting 1/4" material, I personally wouldn't recommend a skip reverse blade, just from experience. Reason being is tear up of the project. My preference is a #3 Olson polar blade. A smoother cut, blade lasts just as long, & less tear ups.

In 1/2" material, such as oak, walnut, cherry, maple, you can get along ok with your #5 reverse skip. Dependin' on how much detail is in the project decides what blades I use. Even in 1/2" material. Sometimes I will use a #1 skip tooth in 1/2" material, sometimes a #2 skip tooth, other times, I may just end up using a polar blade on the complete project. It all depends on what it requires. And I use both FD & Olson blades in the same project. There again, it just depends on my preference for the business at hand. 

Your LEAST aggressive blade is going to be the blade with the least amount of teeth per inch at your preference. Only you can decide what works best for you & your project.

With my Hawk, I can cut a complete project with the same blade, in 1/2" material. Getting the most out of your blade has a lot to do with blade setting & speed, tension, & pressure put against the blade. 

I cut a lot of small detail in my projects, therefore, I use some smaller size blades in order to get the detail to just the right look. I think patience, usin' the blade in the proper way, & speed play a key role in gettin' the most of your blade. 

Edited by SCROLLSAW703

1 hour ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

JT, what's so special about the #5 silver? I've never used it, & am curious.

Special, there is nothing special. It is a blade I settled on to cut just about anything I throw at it. There are so many specialty blades but bottom line find a blade you like and stick with it. I do not find a need to try different companies blades or different styles of blades. I like these and have been using them for a very long time. In fact even though I still had plenty I ordered more when I ordered the superior puzzle blades. Now those can not be subsituted for the Penguin silvers. http://mikesworkshop.com/products/penguin-silver-reverse The double tooth is good to clear saw dust and keep scrolling and they last a super long time. As I mentioned before on my Hawk I can scroll multiple projects with one blade. 

I don't like the question about aggressive blade. All blades are aggressive depending on if you match the blade to the product you are cutting. Get over 3/4" and of course even I have to step up to a larger more robust blade or it will bend and distort. You set the aggressiveness by either the saw setting or your pushing and feeding of the material. In scrollsawing it is not like cutting wood with the grain and against the grain because you are constantly doing both. On a table saw you can use a rip blade or crosscut blade. No such thing with a scrollsaw blade. Now different blades will cut differently but that is something that needs to be found out by user because my use is not the same as anyone else's and there is no way to compare such things. getting of course here but that is my 2 cents worth.

By the way I never tried Pegas blades and never will. have no need to. I have used Olsons when I first got into this because I use to buy Delta blades which were Olson blades. I did use a very good blade for some time called Tiger Teeth blades and they were sold through  Steebar back when I worked for them. They were a German blade also. Very good quality blade. Not sure if the new owner is still selling and using the same distributor. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

that's all I wanted to know, JT. I was just curious about the blade. I, like you, don't see the the point in wastin' valuable time in testin' other blades when I already have my preferences.  I've just seen you mention that particular blade several times, & thought I'd ask. Thank you for your explanation & your time.

In some ways I agree, JT. Some blades will cut different under every circumstance. And, not everyone has the same cut technique. So that, I think, needs to be taken into account with every blade type. 

Opinions of aggressiveness is in the eye of the beholder. You have to find the blades that work best for you. 

I have a favorite blade from every manufacture that I've tried ( FD, Olsen, Pegas ).. I think each manufacture has great blades.. I mostly cut 1/2" plus hardwoods ( mostly cherry, but also Oak, walnut, ash, poplar, and Maple )... I also cut quite a lot of stack cutting of 1/2" + or - stacks of BB plywood.. 

If I couldn't get blades any longer from any one of the manufactures I mentioned above... It wouldn't kill my business / hobby.. I try many manufactures for the simple reason to find what I like / dislike about each manufacture.. I guess I learned this from my father.. Years ago he had a favorite go to blade and all of a sudden he couldn't get them any longer.. He complained about all the other blades.. He finally settled on some type of Olsen blade.. 

Guess my point is.. I like to keep well rounded in all aspects of scroll sawing ( fretwork style ).. 

I can use spirals.. or most any other blade configuration.. and I swap blades out all the time just to stay use to that type of blade..        

My Father was the same way,  Kevin, but it weren't with scroll saw blades. It was grease, oil, truck tires, things like that bcause my Father was NOT a carpenter, God rest his soul. And I have a lot of his same traits, too. But one thing about Dad, as hard headed as he was, if he found somethin' he liked, he stuck with it. I'm that way, too. I know what works for me to my perfectionist specs, & I've stuck with it. 

I have my doubts of Olson or Flying Dutchman goin' out of business before I'm not able to scroll any more. It maybe That I have to find a different retailer, I hope not, but one never knows these days. I'm in perty good hands, & get dependable service from them.

Edited by SCROLLSAW703