First Cut

WigWag Workshop

Good Evening Folks!

First of all, I want to say a big thanks to everyone that has taken the time to answer all my questions, you have been very helpful in getting me started on the right path in this wonderful and addicting hobby.

Well I made my first cut - It didn't turn out well at all. Don't get me wrong, it did come out better than expected. I have documented, my mistakes, and will learn from them. Ignore the touch up on the tail, I did that in MS Paint, the blade got a way from me. Also, I used the cheap blade that came with the saw, for my next cut I will install one of the FD blades I purchased.

Steven

Don't sell yourself short Steve. It's a great start. The biggest thing is to keep going and don't give up. The more you use the saw the better you'll get. You will be surprised in the difference of the fd blades. I 've made several pieces of designer firewood when i started and still do once in a while. keep making sawdust. you'll be an expert before long.

Looks pretty good to me, the best thing with scrolling is that once that pattern is gone you cant tell where the lines were, so anyone else looking at it will just assume thats how its meant to look. Dont be hard on yourself, you have done well.

Just get some scrap ply and draw some wavy lines and some with different angles so you get used to turning the piece, this will make good practise for when you come to cutting a project. Learning how to turn to piece is one thing that can take a little work to do, best method is to place a finger near the blade (not too close) and turn the piece slowly as desired.

That thick plywood can be a bummer to cut. My first projects were with 3/4" pine. Cheap, soft wood. I used it right out of the gate to get a feel for the saw. Slow down the rpm's too. Then if the blade starts to wonder, its easy to get back on the line. Just take your time and let the blade do the cutting, that way you will get straight up and down cuts and you wont break to many blades. Great first cut!

Looks fine to me. The first one I ever tackled was a tiger face. Very detailed but the stripes were really wavy but it didn't really matter if I zigged instead of zagged cause next to all the other ones you could never tell. I never would have looked for a whoops if you wouldn't have told me where to look. ;)

Ken

Steven, I'm sure some of us had worse first attempts, I certainly did. The main trick is to never tell anyone where a piece fell out or if you wobbled a bit, because unless you tell them they will never know. The more you practise the more confidant you will feel the better the project. Keep up the good work.

Marg

• 2 weeks later...