Dust collection for the scroll saw

mikewix

Hi Folks;

I found this collection system on you tube and built one for myself. After using it for the past 3 weeks, I have been impressed enough with it to want to share it with you. It is simple to build and reasonably priced for the parts you need. I have it on my Dewalt saw and plan to build another for my Excaliber saw. The video shows a small amount of dust after sawing, I have not had any. I'm sure that its close to 100  percent  in collection. The only drawback is the vac noise. Like him I plan to move the vac further away from the saw and also use a remote switch for on and off to eliminate  the shut off problem. Hope this helps some of you out, I know it did wonders for my shop in breathing and cleanliness. 

I have a very similar system.  I purchased a Fein dust extractor for it because it is much quieter than a shop vac and it goes on and off with the saw.  Spendie, but I do a lot of scroll sawing and thought it was worth the investment.  Only two problems with mine.   1- I wish I had done it years ago.... I would be a healthier person and enjoyed scrolling even more and 2- the noise of the sucking air is the loudest part and my Fein sits between my two saw right next to me.  The sucking air sound is annoying, so I still wear ear muffs often.

I have a similar setup based on that top/bottom set up - works great and I get very little dust on the bottom - I also have my blower blowing the top dust towards the top dust port as well

I also use a remote switch which turns on the saw and the overhead fan system

Thinking of enclosing my shop vac though - it is so much louder than anything else in my shop LOL

Thanks for the video

Edited by new2woodwrk

Have this set up and I think Its the Best thing ever.  I use whats named BAD ASH.  A vaccume designed for removing Ashes

from fireplace etc.  Not near as noisy as a normal shop vac.  I LOVE MY SET UP AND BY GOLLY....IT WORKS JUST ABOUT PERFECT.

No big dust mess like I have lived with for the past decade.         Danny 

The thing that is really great about these type of systems is that they catch dust at the source.  In my mind, this is one of the most important principles of dust collection. I have seen pictures of systems peep use and blow the dust away from their saws and the try to use an air filter to get it.  The fine dust can spread everywhere and hang in the air for long times.  No matter what tool you are using, the best is to catch the dust at the source.  This becomes increasingly important with fine dust from sanding or from the scroll saw.

21 hours ago, Sycamore67 said:

It looks air like the ones several of us have built and posted.  I built mine a number of years,ago for my Hegner using a Festool vacuum.

2013_02_05_Scroll_Dust3FM (Small).JPG

This is excellent. I hope to make something as nice as this for my Heg. Thanks for posting this pic.

Ray

1 hour ago, Sycamore67 said:

The thing that is really great about these type of systems is that they catch dust at the source.  In my mind, this is one of the most important principles of dust collection. I have seen pictures of systems peep use and blow the dust away from their saws and the try to use an air filter to get it.  The fine dust can spread everywhere and hang in the air for long times.  No matter what tool you are using, the best is to catch the dust at the source.  This becomes increasingly important with fine dust from sanding or from the scroll saw.

I totally agree with what you say. I have my Dewalt pretty much dust free now by building my dust collection system. But, I also use a 20" box fan to the right side of it with two furnace filters in front of it. It pulls from the right side and the vacuum pulls from the top and bottom. I think I'm capturing about 95-99% of the dust. But, I still wear a dust mask after having a very bad reaction to cutting some very cheap luan plywood. It almost caused me to quit scrolling.

Ray