Scrollsaw and Carburator Gasket

tonylumps

My dad was an aircraft mechanic at the start of WW2 and taught me to use the ball peen hammer method.  As a kid I really did not understand what it meant to be an aircraft mechanic but quickly learned that everything is done exactly right or it is redone until perfect.  

1 hour ago, Sycamore67 said:

My dad was an aircraft mechanic at the start of WW2 and taught me to use the ball peen hammer method.  As a kid I really did not understand what it meant to be an aircraft mechanic but quickly learned that everything is done exactly right or it is redone until perfect.  

Sort of like folding/loading parachutes.

Ray

1 hour ago, tonylumps said:

Carburators are a little fragile today I made a lot of gaskets with a ball pean.But these gaskets were thick and some kind of rubber .I think the hammer would just bounce back The carburator was on a Yamaha 2000 inverter It is a small carb.

3 hours ago, new2woodwrk said:

Am I the only one that thinks this makes perfect sense and is an "aha" moment?

Good for you and thanks for sharing!

This is the PERFECT aha moment! 

The last gasket I made with hammer and Fel-Pro was on a 750gpm fire truck pump--probably 1982 or 83.  Used "Indian Head" gasket shellac on both sides of the gasket.  When that truck was scrapped, I guarantee you they didn't split those brass pump halves to get the impellers out.

great job! I like your idea!  I get several farmers that come into the shop totin' a greasy, shot to pieces gasket for their ol' hydraulic systems, or tractors, combines, etc., in one hand, & gasket material in the other hand. They've got a look on their face like somebody just shot their high dollar bull. After they figure out they're in a wood shop, they look around & ya can see the wheels begin to turn. After they're able to talk, they tell me they need this gasket fer their piece of equipment, or whatever it is that is no longer made. Then they tell me They were sent right to my shop. My reaction is "uh huh, now what?" 

Most of the time, in the older hydraulic systems, some of the gaskets were paper, rubber, leather, etc. So they want gaskets cut to the exact shape, size, etc., & have no idea what to attempt it with. They'll try to make the gasket once, & figure out it ain't quite sufficient enough to do the job. The next try is to machine cut it. This is another prime use for polar blades. When I show them my scroll saws, & they think I fell outta my tree. But when they come back to get their gasket, they're surprised at how accurate & exact it is. 

20 hours ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

great job! I like your idea!  I get several farmers that come into the shop totin' a greasy, shot to pieces gasket for their ol' hydraulic systems, or tractors, combines, etc., in one hand, & gasket material in the other hand. They've got a look on their face like somebody just shot their high dollar bull. After they figure out they're in a wood shop, they look around & ya can see the wheels begin to turn. After they're able to talk, they tell me they need this gasket fer their piece of equipment, or whatever it is that is no longer made. Then they tell me They were sent right to my shop. My reaction is "uh huh, now what?" 

Most of the time, in the older hydraulic systems, some of the gaskets were paper, rubber, leather, etc. So they want gaskets cut to the exact shape, size, etc., & have no idea what to attempt it with. They'll try to make the gasket once, & figure out it ain't quite sufficient enough to do the job. The next try is to machine cut it. This is another prime use for polar blades. When I show them my scroll saws, & they think I fell outta my tree. But when they come back to get their gasket, they're surprised at how accurate & exact it is. 

Sometime It is not the money.It is the availability.In my case I could get the gasket.But because the generator is a 20 Year old Yamaha They thought they were going to make a score.That was not going to happen.As long as I had something that looked like  a gasket.Printed it out .Good to go

Edited by tonylumps

money? if i had a dollar bill for all the work I've done for nothin', I could've made a nice down payment on my own shop. These farmers around here aren't all big farmers. We still have a lot of family farmers, small farmers, & hobby farmers. These guys have got equipment that was built in the 60's, & still keepin' it runnin' because they ain't able to afford the high dollar machinery of today, nor have enough acreage to pay for it. So, if they need gaskets, parts, etc., 9 times out of ten, those things have to be machined, machine cut, etc. I don't help these farmers because of the money. Most of these guys I've done business with when I had trucks. I hauled grain off their farms & out of their fields, hauled cattle out of their corrals to packers. I know them personally, & have great respect for them, & what they're doing to survive. It's a way of life here in farm country. Not about the money. If I can help them keep their equipment runnin' in some way, whether it's makin' wood spokes for their drills to creatin' a gasket for them, I'll put a pressin' project aside just to get that farmer back up & runnin'.

15 hours ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

Nebraska? well, We're close but, I ain't in Nebraska. And I just happen to know some fine scrollers that would do the same thing as I do. And live on SS.;)

Yeah, me too. Always self employed. No pension, no IRA, just me. Wife was a stay at home with our children. God Supplies!

4 hours ago, Rockytime said:

Yeah, me too. Always self employed. No pension, no IRA, just me. Wife was a stay at home with our children. God Supplies!

Me too Les. I sold tools for almost 40 years and we also owned a Hallmark Store for about 6 years in Colorado Springs. No pension. No retirement. Nothing. I would have had to work til the day I died had we not bought our home in So.Cal. at just the right time and got the opportunity to sell it at just the right time. The 16 years of equity that we had gave us the chance to invest the profits and go RVing for 3 years full time. We came in off the road after my wife had a mild stroke and felt uneasy about being away from familiar surroundings so we came in and bought a mobile home near the beach. Again at just the right point in time. Sure, I'd love a bigger shop but at my age, it would be pointless to buy a bigger home in a place that neither of us is familiar. So, here we sit. Fat and happy.

Ray

Looks like I may have overstepped, or didn't word that last post quite right. My apologies if I offended anybody. And, I may have taken Tony's post wrong, too. I guess my point to the whole thing was there are more of us in several states that're retired & ss is our only income. My wood shop, like others of you here, helps, at times, pick up lose ends & buy saw blades, lumber, & eventually a new tool. My sincere apologies if I sounded like I was steppin' on toes. That's not the way it was meant.

17 hours ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

Looks like I may have overstepped, or didn't word that last post quite right. My apologies if I offended anybody. And, I may have taken Tony's post wrong, too. I guess my point to the whole thing was there are more of us in several states that're retired & ss is our only income. My wood shop, like others of you here, helps, at times, pick up lose ends & buy saw blades, lumber, & eventually a new tool. My sincere apologies if I sounded like I was steppin' on toes. That's not the way it was meant.

I think all of us understand.