Etsy

Travis

The only thing I found that will sell regularly are puzzles. Toys have become a problem because of the new Fed. regs.

You have to get a FDA approval on any finish you use on a childs toy. If you make a puzzel with 4 colors you need 4 approvals for that toy.

At a cost of $65.00 per test it adds up fast. This is now required for everyone even us small toy makers. The fine is up to $500.00 for every toy sold without FDA approval. That is why I got out of making toys to sell.

Carlton :cry:

I have a store but really haven't gotten anything in it yet. My wife and I have good intentions but no time yet! Winter is coming and we are hoping to get things in the store. The burning on a tea box I did has been sitting for a while but it has had some views. I think if we had more items posted we'd have better luck!

Dave

i got a few things posted but they mostly just get views.i think the economy is still too weak.no one buying.i dont use finish on my toys just to keep from having to deal with all that testing bull.just have to make sure its sanded good and edges rounded lol.plus makes it easier.then you can put it out as a paintit yourself toy also.kids love that stuff lol

The only thing I found that will sell regularly are puzzles. Toys have become a problem because of the new Fed. regs.

You have to get a FDA approval on any finish you use on a childs toy. If you make a puzzel with 4 colors you need 4 approvals for that toy.

At a cost of $65.00 per test it adds up fast. This is now required for everyone even us small toy makers. The fine is up to $500.00 for every toy sold without FDA approval. That is why I got out of making toys to sell.

Carlton :cry:

This is what kept me from selling up to this point. I wanted to see how it worked out. It looks to me as if they relaxed the rules a bit for crafters. Natural materials are not subject to testing (wood being one of them). If you're using materials that from a supplier that has been tested, you're OK too. Basically small manufacturers and crafters aren't scrutinized as harsh. But if someone decides to do a random test, you better be darn sure you'll pass. :oops:

I think if you stick with wood and a natural beeswax finish, you'll be fine. I plan on adding a bit of color too. I'm going to be using acrylic washes and perhaps some watercolor. But if you use some, make sure it's AP Non-Toxic certified. You can find the logo is on the label.

If anybody is interested in learning about the CPSIA rules, etsy has a great thread Everything you need to know about CPSIA.

• 2 weeks later...