Where to buy thin wood

OCtoolguy

I know I have asked this before but now I can't seem to find it here so I'll ask again. There is a basket that I want to try making and it calls for:
Red Oak, 1/4" 7ea. 5 3/4" x 9 1/2"
Ambrosia Maple, 2 ea. 6 3/4" x 9 3/4"
I went to both Home Depot and Lowes and couldn't find what I need. So, I ask again, where do you folks buy your wood? I know that I could plane down my own but I live in a mobile home park and I try very hard not to make a lot of noise, not to mention the mess. Any suggestions? I did find a place on line but it seems very expensive by the time you factor in the shipping costs. I'm just curious as to how you all go about it. 

Thanks for your help,

Ray

Hello Ray. Wooden Teddy Bear is carryin' different species of wood now in various sizes. How their prices are I couldn't answer for. 

I live in a small Agriculture community where the wanna be rednecks come out on decent evenings to wreck the peace & quiet for ever' body, & I have three neighbors. They're far enough from the shop, they ain't able to hear my planer;-) even with the shop Windows open:-) 

Re; your 1/4" oak.  Our Lowes oak leaves something to be desired.  We have 2 Menards that are not far away.  Because the wider widths are always warped, I only buy 1 1/2" wide & glue them together.  That works really well.  I end up going through their whole stack and am only satisfied with "about" 10%.  Have learned to hoard anytime I am near a Menards.

Sorry I can't help you with maple.

jerry

Yes, color me embarrassed. I did buy a sample box from them and just plain forgot. Now, I need something wider than what they sent in that sampler. I'll give them a try and see. I'll let y'all know what I make out. Thanks for making me feel as old as I am. Damn!!!

Ray

I just came across a place that is not too far from me. Too far to drive to in all the traffic but not too bad if I have to. Anyway, they have much better prices so I might just be trying them out. Here is a screen shot or two to show their pricing. The name is Cherokee Wood Products at Cherokeewood.com. These boards are all 24" long.

Ray

2018-04-24_1805.png

2018-04-24_1805_001.png

Edited by octoolguy

3 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

I guess that is why I cut pine and Poplar. They both start with "P." That should mean something but I just don't know what.

Prudent? Actually, I was thinking about making the first one out of poplar and see if I can do it. Then move on to better wood. This project looks like, if I can do a decent job, it might be something that folks would buy.

Ray

Edited by octoolguy

ya know, Mr. Ray, that ain't bad thinkin'. Mr. Les might be onto somethin'. Try your first one with poplar, or such, somethin' that ain't quite so pricey. That way you don't wreck high dollar lumber & you won't have to figure out how to avoid your demise by your bride;)if you destroy $50 worth of lumber.:( And, poplar, if chosen carefully, does have a colorful look to it. Course you'd have to run it thru your planer, Sir, to get into those colors. And I know you mentioned you "try not to use it because of the noise & the mess," but you are a wood worker, my friend. Surely your neighbors can tolerate some racket so you can keep that $50 in yer pocket awhile longer. maybe?? Poplar acclimates fairly fast, & ain't bad to work with. Some food for thought.

Too bad you don't have more local sources for hardwood. In my area we have several choices. From my woodworking club, local woodworking store and several sawmills within 90 mile radius. Good luck on finding a less expensive source. Just a thought a local cabinet shop may have pieces of hardwood they can't use because of a defect or it is too figured. I sometimes get some fantastic looking wood from them because they can't use it.

Edited by Woodmaster1

14 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

These are very good people to deal with and wood is quality.

http://www.dndhardwoodsonline.com/

Thanks John. I did go there and check out their prices. Actually quite a bit higher than either Cherokee or Ocoochee. It would be nice to have all three samples to check for quality. I'm sure they are all very good but there seems to be a lot of price differences. I'm going to order from Cherokee and see what I get. I'll keep this topic updated.

Ray

23 hours ago, cnywwkr11 said:

http://memphishardwoodlumber.com/thinstockhardwoods.html  You might want to give these guys a try.. Jay and Paul are very good folks and service is great. I've dealt with them quite a bit over the last 30+ yrs. and have always been top notch.

John

Thanks for the link but it seems that they don't have reliable sizes as the do the others. I'll keep them in my database though.

Ray

On 4/24/2018 at 8:06 PM, octoolguy said:

I just came across a place that is not too far from me. Too far to drive to in all the traffic but not too bad if I have to. Anyway, they have much better prices so I might just be trying them out. Here is a screen shot or two to show their pricing. The name is Cherokee Wood Products at Cherokeewood.com. These boards are all 24" long.

Ray

2018-04-24_1805.png

2018-04-24_1805_001.png

IMO Ray,

You have to weigh the costs of time+gas vs shipping.

If that place is close enough that you're only dealing with traffic, I think that's a done deal - Shipping costs are very prohibitive when buying wood in bulk IMO.

The only way I can shipping costs paying off, is if you have others to go in on a shipment - but then you're getting into larger loads which also have a hinderance

Take the drive, have some lunch, shop around and enjoy the day - that's what I say ;)

51 minutes ago, new2woodwrk said:

IMO Ray,

You have to weigh the costs of time+gas vs shipping.

If that place is close enough that you're only dealing with traffic, I think that's a done deal - Shipping costs are very prohibitive when buying wood in bulk IMO.

The only way I can shipping costs paying off, is if you have others to go in on a shipment - but then you're getting into larger loads which also have a hinderance

Take the drive, have some lunch, shop around and enjoy the day - that's what I say ;)

Well, around where I live, unless you want to go in the middle of the night, it's going to be crowded. The nearest place is probably 40 miles from where we live. So if you double that and divide by about 18 miles per gallon and then multiply that by $3.30 a gallon, it becomes more efficient to just pay the shipping and leave the driving to them. I wish there was somebody near me to split orders with but right now, I'm all alone. My regular SS partner here in the park is dealing with her ailing husband and has no time nor desire for scroll sawing. She is losing her partner in life at a fast rate. Sad.

Ray

4 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Well, around where I live, unless you want to go in the middle of the night, it's going to be crowded. The nearest place is probably 40 miles from where we live. So if you double that and divide by about 18 miles per gallon and then multiply that by $3.30 a gallon, it becomes more efficient to just pay the shipping and leave the driving to them. I wish there was somebody near me to split orders with but right now, I'm all alone. My regular SS partner here in the park is dealing with her ailing husband and has no time nor desire for scroll sawing. She is losing her partner in life at a fast rate. Sad.

Ray

My sympathies to your friend

I lived in Los Angeles area for 35+ years, so I'm very familiar with it taking an hour to go 5 miles LOL - In Ca. you don't measure distance like the rest of the country who does so in miles, but rather in hours based on which freeway is locked down at the moment!

That being said, I used to do most of my running around/shopping Saturday mornings before the traffic garbage started.

Where exactly is this is store to which you're referring?

16 minutes ago, new2woodwrk said:

My sympathies to your friend

I lived in Los Angeles area for 35+ years, so I'm very familiar with it taking an hour to go 5 miles LOL - In Ca. you don't measure distance like the rest of the country who does so in miles, but rather in hours based on which freeway is locked down at the moment!

That being said, I used to do most of my running around/shopping Saturday mornings before the traffic garbage started.

Where exactly is this is store to which you're referring?

Jes, it's in Upland. I'm down in Huntington Beach. I don't know how long you've been away but it's gotten worse. We used to be able to do our running around in the mornings after 9a.m. as long as we were off the freeway by 2p.m. But now, there is no good time during the daylight hours and weekends are as bad or worse. Surface streets are terrible. The biggest problem, and I say this only for information sake, there are just too many people here now that come from countries where the automobile is their second or third mode of transportation. They haven't got a clue as to how to drive. Everything they do is sudden. No planning ahead at all. My dear friend who lived here in our park relocated 2 years ago to Ft. Pierce, Fl. and they are happy as clams down there. Other friends located to Tennessee and also very happy. I'd move in the blink of an eye if I could pry my wife loose but that ain't gonna happen anytime soon. So, we stay and I'm miserable when I have to leave home. 

R

I purchase all my thins and exotics from a lumber yard locally called Windsor Plywood. They will also bring in any exotic I wish with no obligation to purchase. Fabulous service and reasonable prices. Don't know what's available in your locality Ray but I would check with what lumber yards are in your area.