MDF

Lol. I know that’s a bad word!  Iam doing a small local craft show. I am cutting ornaments out of 1/4 mdf for a christmas in july kinda thing. Basically its what i can afford right now!  I will sell these then buy better wood. Anyways.  I tried painting them with acrylic and it way a clumpy nightmare and it took forever.  I want to spraypaint them. Do I primer the mdf first?  I want it to look nice and smooth. Whats a good white spraypaint?  Krylon?  

I always prime mdf before painting. I like tinted shellac, but it's spendy, and I've only seen it in gallons.  Plus I use dry wall putty on the edges (I use Red Devil Vinyl) it fills that open 'grain'. Another good product to seal/prime is Zinsser, their cover - stain formula.  Zinsser I'm sure you can get in a quart at any BBS. 

13 hours ago, MrsN said:

I use Rustoleum 2x paint and primer for my spraypaint stuff. They have an nice assortment of colors and even some glitter types. I use the clear version for the top coat of most of my projects.

That (or Tremclad) is what I use too.  Rustoleum also sells a primer/sealer spray and the very few times I cut and painted MDFI sprayed it first with this.

Baltic Birch plywood in my opinion would be a better choice. I have seen people just use a clear finish on them and sell them. Gives people an option to paint their own colors if they want. Probably cost is close. MDF would never be my choice of materials for crafting. Just my opinion.  

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

5 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Baltic Birch plywood in my opinion would be a better choice. I have seen people just use a clear finish on them and sell them. Gives people an option to paint their own colors if they want. Probably cost is close. MDF would never be my choice of materials for crafting. Just my opinion.  

Why is BB pw a better choice?

12 minutes ago, Buttkraken said:

I live in a rural area. All i have is a home depot. They have mdf, poplar,cedar pine and some oak. I think bell forest has free shipping if you spend 100 bucks. I gotta mail order anything that is not junk wood. 

Check out Cherokee Wood at their website. They are very friendly and helpful and the wood is great. So far. And also, Home Depot has Baltic Birch plywood I'm sure.

R

Butt 1/8" Baltic Birch is really what you should use.  Anything but MDF.  I truly understand living in a rural area.  Are there larger towns with a couple hours?  If so see if there are any cabinet stores there.  Many use Baltic Birch and they will know the suppliers.  They may be willing to sell you a sheet or order one for you the next time they get a supply.

When I need to get mine the place is 1 1/2 hours away.  I take the Mrs. and we do some other shopping in town and have a nice lunch out.  A win / win and get brownie points.

As the cost of BB over MDF I get between 100 -150 ornaments out of a 5x5 piece of BB which I sell for between $5 and $8 each.  Do the math.  

I

2 hours ago, NC Scroller said:

Butt 1/8" Baltic Birch is really what you should use.  Anything but MDF.  I truly understand living in a rural area.  Are there larger towns with a couple hours?  If so see if there are any cabinet stores there.  Many use Baltic Birch and they will know the suppliers.  They may be willing to sell you a sheet or order one for you the next time they get a supply.

When I need to get mine the place is 1 1/2 hours away.  I take the Mrs. and we do some other shopping in town and have a nice lunch out.  A win / win and get brownie points.

As the cost of BB over MDF I get between 100 -150 ornaments out of a 5x5 piece of BB which I sell for between $5 and $8 each.  Do the math.  

I checked pricing of 1/4" mdf 4' x 8' at $19 or 60¢/ft. The 1/4" Baltic Birch 5' x 5' at $25 or $1.00/ft. So if your 'doing the math' mdf is significantly more cost effective.   These prices are from a local store.

12 minutes ago, oldhudson said:

I

I checked pricing of 1/4" mdf 4' x 8' at $19 or 60¢/ft. The 1/4" Baltic Birch 5' x 5' at $25 or $1.00/ft. So if your 'doing the math' mdf is significantly more cost effective.   These prices are from a local store.

But are they???  Why 1/4" for ornaments??  1/8" is the norm because you want light weight if hanging on a tree. MDF is heavier all around. Again do as you want, just throwing opinions out there. 

3 hours ago, octoolguy said:

I know that there are more than one person here on SSV who get their BB from eBay and swear by it. They seem to have pretty good prices. All ya gotta do is work the mouse.

R

When I can, I like to buy stuff locally. It keeps people in the area employed and the sales tax goes to community roads, schools and other important services. I understand not everyone lives in a metropolitan area.

20 hours ago, oldhudson said:

When I can, I like to buy stuff locally. It keeps people in the area employed and the sales tax goes to community roads, schools and other important services. I understand not everyone lives in a metropolitan area.

I was just putting forth another way to get the wood needed. I live in California and I try to buy as much stuff out of the area to keep the tax money out of the hands of our elected thieves. California has a way of wasting every dime they can get their hands on. JMHO!

R