Word art for my sister

Charlie E

1 hour ago, rdatelle said:

That came out great Charlie. I love how you routed the edges and put that red on your backer.

Thank you. I used textured scrap book paper for the color on the backer. I printed an extra pattern to help with cutting out the red for Patriots. I like cutting wood better than paper!

I agree outstanding work.  She will love it.  Do you mind me asking how you managed to get the word Patriots to be red and the rest of the backer black or navy blue.  I am struggling to do a similar thing on a plaque and I am running out of ideas.

Marg

8 hours ago, wombatie said:

I agree outstanding work.  She will love it.  Do you mind me asking how you managed to get the word Patriots to be red and the rest of the backer black or navy blue.  I am struggling to do a similar thing on a plaque and I am running out of ideas.

Marg

Thank you so much Marg.  I used textured scrapbook paper for the color on the backer.  Up close it sort of looks like fabric. Maybe you can benefit from my trial and error on the red Patriot part. After some unnecessary work I printed out another pattern. I used an exacto knife and scissors to cut out the Patriots. In time I realized you don't  to be that precise except in the areas it is actually intersecting with the other text and the pattern makes this easy to see. I used the piece I cut out as a template and traced it on the red paper then cut that out. I put a few small drops of glue on back of the wood and glued the red Patriots on, then glued the nave blue on and added a luan backer. I suppose you could use most of this process if you wanted to use paint rather than paper. Hope that makes sense.

Charlie

14 hours ago, Charlie E said:

Thank you so much Marg.  I used textured scrapbook paper for the color on the backer.  Up close it sort of looks like fabric. Maybe you can benefit from my trial and error on the red Patriot part. After some unnecessary work I printed out another pattern. I used an exacto knife and scissors to cut out the Patriots. In time I realized you don't  to be that precise except in the areas it is actually intersecting with the other text and the pattern makes this easy to see. I used the piece I cut out as a template and traced it on the red paper then cut that out. I put a few small drops of glue on back of the wood and glued the red Patriots on, then glued the nave blue on and added a luan backer. I suppose you could use most of this process if you wanted to use paint rather than paper. Hope that makes sense.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie.  I have tried hand painting with gloss paint, that didn't work, I have tried spray painting with gloss paint over a stencil, that didn't work I am about to try acyclic paints and if that doesn't work I will try the paper.  Thanks for your help.

Marg