I DID NOT Make This - UPDATE

Scrappile

10 hours ago, Scrappile said:

But I helped!  My friend, Ron Smith, is a very good segmented bowl maker/turner.  A while back he asked if I would help him make a bowl that he was wanting to do.  He brought me some wood and silhouette patterns for animals he wanted to use on the bowl and wanted to see if I thought I could cut them.  The hardest part of cutting them was having him watch me the would time.  But we had a great time in the shop and he got what he wanted.  He just sent me these pictures of his finished product.

rw17uXK.jpg

9KZXvYZ.jpg

And what a bowl!

On 5/18/2018 at 6:46 PM, dgman said:

Nice work Paul! I’m only guessing here but it looks like the holes were drilled with a Forstner Bit then a round hardwood plug inserted as a backer then your cutouts glued on?

That may be how he did it, I hope to go and actually look it over this week and have him tell me how he did it.

• 2 months later...

Today I was at Ron's house to visit.  I saw the bowl live for the first time.  The pictures does not do it justice and it is much bigger than it appears in the pictures.  And one other little thing..... he handed it to me and said take it home.  All he wants in turn is that I cut him 3 sets of the animals after I get my eyes fixed.  He wants to have them in case he decides to make more similar bowls.