Finished Walnut Racer

jbrowning

Well, I finally finished the first walnut motorcycle racer. Man that walnut really tests my patience.  Hopefully the next one will go smoother. The inside cuts were with a FDUR #1 blade, the outside cuts were with a FDUR #3 blade and then the veining is with a FDUR #5 blade. All in all I'm pretty happy with it. I'm guessing the more of these I cut in walnut, the more comfortable I will get. Oh and these are cut out of 4/1 Walnut and I will be putting a clear coat on this and will mount it on a 3/4" piece of oak with a clear coat on it as well. Sorry I haven't been on very much, but this and work has been keeping me pretty busy.

Thanks for looking and I'm open to all the suggestions I can get.

376614285_MotorcycleWalnut.thumb.jpg.fd9d91c343233c4d2291fc41fcc61bcc.jpg

Thank you

Jim

Edited by jbrowning

21 hours ago, jbrowning said:

Well, I finally finished the first walnut motorcycle racer. Man that walnut really tests my patience.  Hopefully the next one will go smoother. The inside cuts were with a FDUR #1 blade, the outside cuts were with a FDUR #3 blade and then the veining is with a FDUR #5 blade. All in all I'm pretty happy with it. I'm guessing the more of these I cut in walnut, the more comfortable I will get. Oh and these are cut out of 4/1 Walnut and I will be putting a clear coat on this and will mount it on a 3/4" piece of oak with a clear coat on it as well. Sorry I haven't been on very much, but this and work has been keeping me pretty busy.

Thanks for looking and I'm open to all the suggestions I can get.

376614285_MotorcycleWalnut.thumb.jpg.fd9d91c343233c4d2291fc41fcc61bcc.jpg

Thank you

Jim

I think you would enjoy the cut more with a #3 modified geometry Pegas reversible blade or even a number 3. I used to go to the smaller blades to I could make the turns better but when I cut my Eiffel Tower I discovered a little heavier blade cuts easier and quicker but also follows the line better and is less likely to wander. Another thing I also learned lately was when cutting vanes one can first cut with a flat blade and then follow with a spiral blade and the spiral will widen the vane and not leave those wavy lines when used alone.  Please don't take this a criticism because it is not meant to be. I just wanted to pass on some of the things I believe I am learning that is helping me. You might wish to give these a shot on another cutting, or not. 🤔

Dick

heppnerguy