starting holes questions

rljohn56

ok, here is a project i just finished cutting. my question involves starting holes. how do i work around drilling holes when i'm just cutting a single kerf?  there are no drill bits out there smaller than the width of any scroll saw blade.  I corrected the issue and will show you that in my next post, but the question still is out there. Thanks again for all the wise tips and advice i always get from  the family. ray johnson 

baseballproject1.JPG

First there are drill bits out there that small but you won't find them at Lowes, HD or your local hardware store.  Most places that sell scrollsaw blades carry what are called "Number bits".  Here is one example:

https://mikesworkshop.com/collections/accessories/products/miniature-twist-drill-bits

What I like to do is find a bit close to my blade width (kerf) and drill a starter hole at both ends.  It tends to give a more balanced and deliberate appearance.

Edited by NC Scroller

Menards is the only local place i've found the numbered bits.. Not sure that all Menards carries them but if you have a local Menards and need the small numbered bits.. give them a try.. I always bought online.. but one day I broke the last bit I had and searched every store in town LOL.. Menards was my life saver that day LOL

I bought mine from Mikes as well. We too had a Mom and Pop hardware store that sold all number bits and use to buy from him but Home Depot put them out of business as they usually do. They were one of those places where you could find the most obscure item you were looking for. I miss them. 

This has been post on SSV before but if you look there is a column labeled Pilot Hole.  It shows the proper hole to drill for all the major brand/type blades.  It is the best reference of it's type I have seen in my 20 years of scrolling.

http://www.hawkwoodworkingtools.com/ScrollSaw/ScrollSawParts/SS_BLADE_CHART_2-22-2013.pdf

1 hour ago, NC Scroller said:

This has been post on SSV before but if you look there is a column labeled Pilot Hole.  It shows the proper hole to drill for all the major brand/type blades.  It is the best reference of it's type I have seen in my 20 years of scrolling.

http://www.hawkwoodworkingtools.com/ScrollSaw/ScrollSawParts/SS_BLADE_CHART_2-22-2013.pdf 

That is a great chart. Learning about pilot holes is in the process one gets to as they attempt to push their envelop and make something new.. It quickly become apparent that one needs to find an answer to solve the 'big drill hole' problem. 

Dick

heppnerguy

first off i actually have #ed bits but only goes to #60 so thanks for letting me know about even smaller ones.  This is how i solved my hole issue.  i went back with my wood burner pen and masked them out by outlining everything.  I think it came out rather well.  thanks for the advice about putting holes on both ends for a balance look.

IMG_0042.JPG

the wood burning tool is just a basic Walnut Hollow brand for about $15.00. i also bought a set of tips for another $10 on Amazon, but i haven't even come close to using any of them so that probably was an unnecessary purchase. Right now my son and his teenage friends are helping me come up with a background color other than the traditional black that i see all of the time.