Rick from Oregon, USA

Rick Kr

Hi All,

New kid into scroll sawing.  I just bought a DeWalt 788 so I can make puzzles for my granddaughter.  I've been into metal machining and casual woodworking for a long time, starting with building and flying balsa airplanes as a kid.  In my metal shop, I have a killer lathe (Monarch 10EE) and a modest mill, drill presss, a Tormek sharpening system, several grinders, and a huge amount of tooling.  For woodworking, I have no real machine tools (planer,  jointer, wood lathe, drum sander, etc), just sanders (12" disc, A4x36" belt, 1" belt), a 1954 Delta floor model drill press, a 1960 Powermatic 140 (14") bandsaw, DeWalt 12" miter saw and quite a few power hand tools.  I am also a bamboo fly rod maker.

I had never really considered a scroll saw, but on getting one, I'm discovering an interesting variety of potential projects.  I've watched some informational videos on scroll saw setup, blade types and usage, and scrolling techniques.  My first project, in 1/8" Baltic birch plywood, prior to watching the videos is posted here.  I bought a couple of boards of relatively clear knotty pine, mainly for practice and early projects.  I plan to do some practice patterns to work on scrolling technique before tackling thicker wood.

My granddaugher loves the puzzle and wants to color it but I have not even sanded the fuzz off yet.  On that matter, I recently learned of sanding mops and watched a video on how to make them.  I have a good assortment of the hook/loop sanding media (Mirca AutoNet, 5" disk and 2 3/4" strip) and am considering making a couple of grit levels.  Does anyone have experience with making mops in general and with this sanding media in this application? I realize this question may be more appropriate as a separate post, so will likely do that as a first post on the general forum. 

Rick

Bunny Puzzle 1 2 05-02-18 640.jpg

Bunny Puzzle 1 1 05-02-18 640.jpg

Hi Rick. Welcome to the Village. If you got your scrollsaw to make puzzles for your granddaughter, you need to check in with @Iguanadon - (that’s his screen name, but we call him Iggy or Scott or sometimes the puzzle master 😉.) he too started out making puzzles for s grandchild I believe.  Ow he is mass producing them and selling them. He has a website where you can see his work, and buy the puzzle patterns, he works with Harvey Bylar who creates the patterns. This is link to his website: https://woodcraftbyscott.com/ I will let others who are more knowledgeable then me answer your tool questions.

Oh, boy!  Another NW member.  You do not say where in Oregon, but there are a few Oregon and Washington members.  I am S. E. Wa.  The owner of this forum is Vancouver, Wa.  So make yourself at home.  Maybe someday we can have a NW get together!  We would, of course invite @Heppnerguy even though he left us for Arizona.

2 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Oh, boy!  Another NW member.  You do not say where in Oregon, but there are a few Oregon and Washington members.  I am S. E. Wa.  The owner of this forum is Vancouver, Wa.  So make yourself at home.  Maybe someday we can have a NW get together!  We would, of course invite @Heppnerguy even though he left us for Arizona.

About a year and a half ago, I moved from Portland to Halfway.  Halfway is on the SE flank of the Wallow Mtn. in NE OR.  It is an hour off of I-84, east towards Idaho.  I had lived in Portland for over 40 years.  The move was to be near my granddaughter.  I love it here.  I do still make fairly regular trips to Portland, so making it to a gathering would be easy. 

Rick

5 minutes ago, Rick Kr said:

About a year and a half ago, I moved from Portland to Halfway.  Halfway is on the SE flank of the Wallow Mtn. in NE OR.  It is an hour off of I-84, east towards Idaho.  I had lived in Portland for over 40 years.  The move was to be near my granddaughter.  I love it here.  I do still make fairly regular trips to Portland, so making it to a gathering would be easy. 

Rick

Oh, my you live in a beautiful area of Ore!   Been through that area several times over the years and always told my wife, "I could live here!".   How far are you from Lake Wallowa and Joseph, ore?  Camped a Lake Wallowa many times.  That area is probably one of the most beautiful areas in Ore,  along with the Ore., Coast. Can I come and visit??????  Did a hike to Eagle Cap with some younger guys.... story is I "crawled" into camp an hour after everyone else.... I deny it.  Well. maybe....

On 6/4/2018 at 5:39 PM, Scrappile said:

Oh, my you live in a beautiful area of Ore!   Been through that area several times over the years and always told my wife, "I could live here!".   How far are you from Lake Wallowa and Joseph, ore?  Camped a Lake Wallowa many times.  That area is probably one of the most beautiful areas in Ore,  along with the Ore., Coast. Can I come and visit??????  Did a hike to Eagle Cap with some younger guys.... story is I "crawled" into camp an hour after everyone else.... I deny it.  Well. maybe....

I agree, this is one of the most beautiful in Oregon.  Joseph and Wallowa are on the north side of the Wallowa Mtns/Eage Cap Wilderness.  Halfway is on the SE side, 16 miles from the Snake River.  One can get to Joseph in about two hours on Forest Service Rd. 39 around the back (east) side.  Going west and using freeways takes about four hours.  Attached are a couple photos, one of the "downtown" area of Halfway.  There is not one stoplight, only stop signs.  If I have to wait for more than two cars at an intersection, it is a traffic jam.  The second is the view out my back yard. 

Yes, you can come visit.  All the beds in my house are full, but you can camp in my yard.  There's a motel, a BnB, a hotel and a mountain resort lodge if you aren't into camping.

Rick

Halfway in Fall Splender 640.JPG

Spring Back Yard 2017 640.JPG

23 hours ago, wombatie said:

Welcome to the Village Rick.  Did you know that you can cut thin metals on your scroll saw too.  This is a necklace I cut from some thin recycled silver.

Marg

18939995_2016-02-0412_16_21.thumb.jpg.2f5a5a9050264cc75e3de5330f09d707.jpg

No, I didn't know, but I am not surprised.  Sandwiching it between thin baltic birch plywood (1/8"-1/4") would be one way that I can imagine doing it. 

Rick

17 hours ago, Rick Kr said:

Good friend of mine lives in Minneapolis.  I travel through to meet up with him on our way to a bamboo fly rod makers gathering in NE Arkansas each fall. 

Rick

And I have a Sister, Brother-in-law and two Nieces who live in Grants Pass Oregon.  A "fer" piece from Halfway, Or. but same rugged beauty along the Rogue River.

Welcome to the forum, Rick,

Thanks for the pic. Nice project. And thanks for the nice introduction.
You've found a nice, friendly group of knowledgeable people here that
are happy to help out with any questions and your input is just as
valuable as any of the most senior members.

God Bless! Spirithorse

23 hours ago, Rick Kr said:

No, I didn't know, but I am not surprised.  Sandwiching it between thin baltic birch plywood (1/8"-1/4") would be one way that I can imagine doing it. 

Rick

NO I did not sandwich it, I just cut it straight from the silver.

Marg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Welcome.. So glad you found us and decided to join up. I too am or was an Oregonian for many years,, I was born in Tillamook and grew up in Portland, lived 35 years in Tigard and moved to Heppner. While living there I met Paul, (Scrappile) and we became good friends. Paul is a really gifted and talented scroller and a good person to know, personally. A year ago we moved to Casa Grande, Arizona and go back to Oregon a couple of times a year to visit friends and family. Hope you enjoy participating here in The Village.

Dick

heppnerguy