Must haves?

Lastchance

Ok all, time to pick whats most important to you. Besides your family and saw that is.

I am setting up an new work shop and would like to know whats in your shop that you could not live without? What is the item or items that you find yourselve using over and over again?

Whats the item that you would think everyone who owned a scroll saw should have?\

I do not have a bunch of money and do not want to waste what I have on something that may not be as usful as I may think it is. Hence, I am asking all of you to help me with suggestions set up my shop.

Thank you all in advance for your time and attention in this matter.

Chance

P.S photos or links of the items you suggest would be great if possible.

To prepare the wood surface, a sander. The random-orbit will usually give the finest surface, anywhere from 220 to 320 grit.

To cut the blanks, a table saw.

To get accurate vertical holes of any size, a drill press.

If you re-saw to get thinner boards, a band saw.

It all depends on what you make and what you start with.

Terry

Besides my saw the most used tool in my shop is my dremel. I can drill starter holes, sand (with flap wheel attachment), use cut off wheels for scoring lines. to me it is the tool I would not give up. There are better tools that can get these jobs done, but for a beginer until you can afford the others, to me its the best tool to get one started. I still use mine even regularly even though i have all the other tools. Its great for that missed hole so you dont have to go back to the drill press...lol

I think it depends on what you are interested in making...but, with more tools, the more you can make. Things I have and use listed most often to less often: scroll saw, drill press, mini drill press (used with dremel), belt sander on stand, table saw. Its also nice to have a big table for work space besides the area by the scroll saw. Small bits are a necessity and various grit sandpaper up to as fine as you wish, 0000 steel wool, spindle sanding accessories for the full sized drill press.

Thank you all for your comments. I am a bit surprised that some other items have not made the list yet.

Maybe these fall more into comfort than critical, but I like comfort when I plan to spend most of my weekend working on a pattern. Therefore I would consider the following as must haves OR must soon aquire as well.

adjustable magnifying light 4" or better

Speed control foot pedal

Good overhead shop lights

Comfortable chair or stool

oscillating fan, heater, etc for some comfort when the weather is not so agreeable outside

Stereo or radio... I tend to steer clear of MPS players with headphones or earbuds when working around power tools. I like to hear everything going on around me.

Nice to haves:

A good large number wall clock.... time can really get away from you when your in the zone. :)

What else am I missing?

Chance

I guess those are more comfort/personal taste not so much must haves. I have a high stool with a cushion that I sit on and have nice flourscent shop lights over head. Music is a given I think...but sometimes I like to just have the sound of the saw. I have been wanting to get a led magnify len light, it's on my wish list. My scroll saw has a foot pedal that came with it and the speed control is on the arm of the scroll saw. Must haves in a scroll saw, now there is a totally different question. When I was shopping for mine, I wanted a tiltable table, big smooth table top, deep enough (18") to work on good sized pieces, light and blower, foot switch, easy to reach speed control and easy to change blades.

I have a small oven timer that I set when I am working on larger items. I also have a large mirror on the wall in front of me just above head height, that way I can look in it and not have to be scraped off the ceiling when someone scares me stupid. :rofl:

Marg