New and need saw advice

Maine Vibes

Hi there!

I am new to scroll sawing.  I am currently practicing on a very old Dremel/craftsman motoshop 571-5.  I really want to do more intricate work in the future.  (names in cursive ect)  I hear great things about the dewalt and they go for close to $500 here in Maine.   I have been looking on craigslist.  There is a Hawk 220vs for sale.  He is asking 300 but its been up for a while and I bet i could talk him down.  It looks new and barely used.  

Should I just keep practicing with what i have and save up for a new dewalt or purchased used like the hawk.  

Thanks in advance!
I am attaching photo from ad.  
His description "Saw in excellent condition, only used couple times. Comes with foot pedal, tips and tricks books, templates, extra blades. Had big plans for making things in my spare time but not enough time in the day. "

32511960_1637067802995703_2333039326247518208_n.jpg

Sabrina, I was trying to figure out why you are not getting much response to you inquiry and a good welcome from the members.  I think the answer is the post is in the wrong Forum.   I think if we can get @Travis to move it to the "Introduction" Forum you will see some action. 

Welcome to SSV.  I would look into the saw first. Find your serial number and call the company.  They will tell you about the motor, whether it's old and could be a problem. The lady I talked to explained the deal with the old motor, what could happen and how much it would cost.. I didn't buy the saw it was looking new but was actually very old.  They can tell you how old it is..

If you want to  spend the money for first class I'd go with the 16" King or wait for the 21"  Otherwise the Dewalt is a good saw too.

I just received my daily email from Steve Good.  There is a special offer for a Delta Saw for $314.  http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/   I cannot recommend one, because I have never even seen one, but they are suppose to be much like the DeWalt.  There are members here that own them, hopefully they will share input. @Lew just received a new one check this thread: 

http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/forums/topic/29682-new-delta-saw/?tab=comments#comment-332047

Edited by Scrappile

4 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Sabrina, I was trying to figure out why you are not getting much response to you inquiry and a good welcome from the members.  I think the answer is the post is in the wrong Forum.   I think if we can get @Travis to move it to the "Introduction" Forum you will see some action. 

Paul, it is in the "Introductions" forum, and that may be why she is not getting as much response in regards to the saw its self. Not everybody looks at the subforms regularly.  I think that it has to do with the weekend too maybe.

Sabrina, I just wanted to welcome you to the village. I cannot help you on the Hawk saw as I too have never had one.  Perhaps if you ask in the "General" forum, you will get more response from those who have Hawks but it looks like rdv464 and Fish have probably given you some of the best information on what to do to find out more info.  I know that many consider the Hawk line of saws to be great saws.  Good luck.  I look forward to your participation here in the Village.

Hi Sabrina. Welcome to the Village. A great place to be. About the Hawk, I have the 220VS Ultra Hawk and love it. I had a small 14" Hawk, then a 216VS Hawk and now a 220 Hawk. I am a great Booster of Hawks. You would get more replies posting in the General forum. That is the first one everyone reads. Did I mention I love my Hawk?

Okay, she was in the "Hot Deals and Announcement" forum and I thought she would do better in this forum I asked @Travis to move it here.  Sorry if I was wrong, but this new lady in not getting a proper not normal welcome from the Village.  Help to fix this would be great.  I hope she hasn't given up and left.

39 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

Okay, she was in the "Hot Deals and Announcement" forum and I thought she would do better in this forum I asked @Travis to move it here.  Sorry if I was wrong, but this new lady in not getting a proper not normal welcome from the Village.  Help to fix this would be great.  I hope she hasn't given up and left.

Sorry Paul, I did see where you had asked Travis to move it, but I didn't see where it showed it had been moved (usually it shows it was moved I thought).  I suspect the weekend has been keeping many folks away - especially if they have had good weather like we have had (well, if you consider sunshine and 90 degrees "good" - I personally would prefer a little cooler. 😉😎⛱️)

Welcome Sabrina. There are many good scroll saws available (new and used) and it's easy to submit my preference that satisfy my needs but may not satisfy yours. There are many variables when selecting a scroll saw and I would suggest take your time and research some of the more popular brands and the benefits they have to offer. Once you feel you know what your looking for in a scroll saw it's then just a matter of budget. When I chose my scroll saw twenty years ago there were two items that mattered most to me. A quality product and reliable service. Those two things have paid me in dividends and more.