Craig from Michigan, USA

agentC

Hi all,

Just got into scrolling. I bought an old 16" craftsman off of craigslist to cut out wooden gears for a candy dispenser project I am planning on doing with my kids and have since discovered the wide world of scrolling. I've been into woodworking for as long as I can remember. I started out probably around 4 or 5 years old bugging my dad for the small scrap pieces in his shop, and now half of my garage is a dedicated workspace.

I mostly make things that we need around the house, like end tables and most recently a reading bench with built in bookshelves for my two middle daughters. I've gotten my hands dirty in almost all of the building trades, and according to my kids "I can fix anything", but I usually refer to myself as a jack of all trades, master of none

I am excited to get started with my scroll saw. I have spent the majority of my evenings for the last week learning how to use Inkscape to make scroll patterns thanks to the Scroll Saw Goodies YouTube channel. I have a few made up and printed off and cant wait to get scrolling!

One question I have is about blade types. My 16" Craftsman uses pin end blades, are there any disadvantages to this type of blade? Would it be worth getting one of the conversion kits out there that let you use both pin end and plain end blades?

Craig

Welcome aboard Craig.
If you wish to do intricate fretwork with small inside cuts you will need to use pinless blades. I had a ryobi saw many  years ago and purchased a conversion kit for it and it really opened up scrolling in regards of the different work I could do. The other advantage is the variety of blade types available in plain blades.
Have fun

Hi and welcome to the forum.   Glad to have you join us.  As to pin/pinless blades.  You can do everything with pinless blades, and have a much larger variety of blades to choose from.  Pin end blades have a smaller selection and like stated you can not do intricate fret work, simply because you will need a much larger hole to stick the pin end blade through.  If you like your saw and plan on keeping it I think it would be worth it to change the clamps. 

So glad you decided to choose us as your scroll site to join. The people here are friendly and helpful. Be sure you look around at everything this sight has to offer. You will find there are many helpful, interesting talks and projects that have been cut that will be a pleasure to view also check out all the free patterns here for you to download for if you would like to give them a try. Welcome from Southern Arizona

Dick

heppnerguy