Problem Solved

Vector01

After a few cups of coffee and some serious contemplation I came up with the "final solution" for my dust control problem. I designed a bracket on inkscape that would hold the vac hose under the saw table just a bit forward of the blade hole. It worked great. Collects 90% of the wood dust that falls through the table while cutting.

[attachment=1]dustcoll2.jpg[/attachment]

Blade alignment...I posed the question about the slight misalignment of the blade when viewing from the side at SSW&C. Evidently this is not a defect but inherent to the DW788 type 2. I was advised that when cutting tight corners on thicker woods just stop for a second before making your turn. In the event that the blade is over cutting this will compensate this. As a test for over cutting, I was told to draw a line on a thicker piece of wood from the edge of the wood towards the middle one inch long. Cut the line stopping at the one inch mark. Turn the wood over and measure the cut line. It should measure the same distance, one inch. I tried this and it was right on the money. If it's over cutting then that's a problem. Evidently there is no easy fix for that. The saw would have to go back for repair or replacement.

[attachment=0]cut line.jpg[/attachment]

Now...Other than mounting the light, I should be set to go. The true test of the saw will be in the cut. There will be a learning curve with the DW since it cuts more aggressively. I got plenty of ply to work with. Hopefully I'll have a cut for review in a couple of days...Barring any other issues.

Thanks...My belief is when you buy a new tool all you should have to do is A) Read the instructions B) Take the neccessary safety measures C) plug it in (unless its cordless) D) Use the dam thing!

Other than the stand and dust collection (personal issues) you shouldn't have to scrutinize every inch of the tool before using it. I havn't removed the rear case cover to check those areas. If I did the 30 day return policy will probably expire by the time I went through that too :lol:

I don't think that it's an issue so much of design but more of quality control. I'm quite sure they (DW) don't have a team of experienced scrollers checking out the final designs. When you outsource overseas to save a few bucks, this is what you end up with. They sell say 10 saws and 5 are returned were's the profit in this. What type of reputation will they have? Then again there are a lot of DW788 owners that have had their saws for many years and have had no major issues and love the saw.

I'm not going to stress too much over this. I'm going to give it a fair shake and see if it measures up. Like I said before...So far so good.

Talking about lubrication points...According to the post I read they use sealed bearings. There should be no lubrication needed for these. Then again I saw a photo of a lower arm bearing that basically disintegrated from lack of lubrication. It can't hurt to put a few drops of "Break Free" on the pivot points and maybe a dab of bearing grease around the drive arms occassionally. Like the old addage "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

How about taking a shoe box cover, glueing or screwiing it to the retangle end of the wet vac hose and then mounting it to the bottom of the cutting plate with some good old duct tape?

It should improve the capture rate and work as a funnel for anything that may fall around the outside of where just the rectangle hose end would sit and you can cut a slot in the box to compensate for the area that the saw blade goes through.

Just a thought

Chance

(Don't have time, or my saw to try it yet, but wanted to throw it out there and see what sticks.) :)

Or, I just found this, seems someone makes a plastic version. just my luck on the invention wheel... day late many dollars short