I Need An Engineer!

Vector01

Hi All:

Working on a scale model of a wooden scroll saw (1800's). I would like to be able to move the arms up and down (slightly) by use of a simple crank. Doesn't have to cut wood just move a little. I don't have the finished dimensions yet. Still designing the parts. It will be approximately 6" long by 4" high. Unfortunately the original picture is on another site and due to copyrite I don't want to post it here. I can't seem to find another photo of this saw anywhere.

I'm not a engineer so I'm not quite sure if my design will work. I played around and made what I think might work using Google Sketchup. Again, in theory it might move :? Can anybody give me some pointers with this? What do I need to modify? Here's a few basic picks...

[attachment=4]scroll table 1.png[/attachment][attachment=0]scroll saw table5.png[/attachment]

[attachment=3]scroll saw table 2.png[/attachment]

[attachment=2]scroll saw table 3.png[/attachment]

[attachment=1]scroll saw table 4.png[/attachment]

Thanks!

Looks interesting and I can see how you intend it to work and get the up/down motion for the blade, but im far from being an engineer and wouldnt be able to give you anything useful to use.

Could you take a look at how the wooden foot powered scroll saw works (you can get plans for that) and see if you can adapt your hand crank one to work in a similar fashion?

robot.gif

Ahaaa...Yes a cam :o Attached to the main shaft. This will allow for additional support on both sides of the cam. Great work Mr. Holmes :thumbs: Unfortunately the original photo does not show the mechanics or give any dimensions. Thought a bit of a brain teaser was in order :confused:

"With this clue Dr. Watson, we shall soon have full knowledge of Dr. Moriarty's fiendish device." :lol: Can you tell I'm a fan of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle :thumbs: