Hello from S.E. Pa

Fran L

Hello Everyone. Love reading about and seeing the incredible pieces on these boards, hoping to get to that level someday.

I've been a casual scroller for about 5 years. Bought an inexpensive Craftsman about 10 years ago but never really got started until my son needed a paddle to decorate for the fraternity he was joining. We couldn't find what he needed anywhere except for one that was a keychain. I was able to make a copy of it, blow it up to make a pattern and it turned out to be exactly what he needed. I was hooked. Found some Beginner books and simple patterns and cut away. I've tried some fretwork but don't seem to have the patience and steady enough hand for the intricate work (maybe I can blame the saw) but I liked segmentation and am in the midst of finishing up my first intarsia piece, the flying eagle from Scroller magazine. When I say casual I mean I started that eagle in April of 2015 but am finally at the stage of putting it together and will post it when it's finished. It is far from perfect but has been enjoyable. Well that's my long-winded introduction but as the winter sets in I hope to become very involved in this forum and pick all your brains in hopes of becoming more confident to try different patterns.

Thank you for listening (reading)

Fran

Thank you all for the welcome and Marg- you are 100% correct that I started out with something that was way over my head but I loved that pattern from the first time I saw it and no matter what I cut I wasn't happy unless I gave it a go no matter how it turned out. I am to the point of finishing it. There are a lot of mistakes and I'll probably redo it in a few years but it has been fun, I've learned a whole lot and have gotten the confidence to keep giving things a try.

Fran