national dipping day today

JTTHECLOCKMAN

At my house it was a national dipping day today. The past 2 days I have been making bases for my clocks and then sanding all clocks napkin holders and plaques getting ready for this day. Well 3 hours latter and 35 clocks with 35 bases, 5 plaques, 20 napkin holders divided by 2 because each has 2 sides and 10 bases. Dipped wiped down left to dry for about an hour outside and now all in basement where they sit for about a week. Then polished and assembled and price tag put on. I have about 5 other projects that I will continue to work on and hopefully will be done and ready for dipping end of next week. I am cutting it close so some projects may get pushed off for next year. Will see. I am still having fun creating things so on we go. Hope you all have a good day. I did.  

Always feels good to get to the finishing stage.. especially if you're like me and wait until you have several to do.. I have a old dresser in the shop and I reserve one drawer for clocks, one for bases and one for ornaments.. I used to wait until the ornament drawer was full before I'd sand and dip them.. but dang.. gets tiring sanding around 400 ornaments and dipping them all etc.. it's a whole day process if I'm doing the clocks and ornaments, LOL .... so this year I just do them every now and again before the drawers get too full.. Plus if they are all new items that I haven't made.. then it's photographing day for the next day and then listing them on my web site day, LOL  ..

4 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

At my house it was a national dipping day today. The past 2 days I have been making bases for my clocks and then sanding all clocks napkin holders and plaques getting ready for this day. Well 3 hours latter and 35 clocks with 35 bases, 5 plaques, 20 napkin holders divided by 2 because each has 2 sides and 10 bases. Dipped wiped down left to dry for about an hour outside and now all in basement where they sit for about a week. Then polished and assembled and price tag put on. I have about 5 other projects that I will continue to work on and hopefully will be done and ready for dipping end of next week. I am cutting it close so some projects may get pushed off for next year. Will see. I am still having fun creating things so on we go. Hope you all have a good day. I did.  

Well, where's the pics? Without pics, we can't believe you John T.

2 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Always feels good to get to the finishing stage.. especially if you're like me and wait until you have several to do.. I have a old dresser in the shop and I reserve one drawer for clocks, one for bases and one for ornaments.. I used to wait until the ornament drawer was full before I'd sand and dip them.. but dang.. gets tiring sanding around 400 ornaments and dipping them all etc.. it's a whole day process if I'm doing the clocks and ornaments, LOL .... so this year I just do them every now and again before the drawers get too full.. Plus if they are all new items that I haven't made.. then it's photographing day for the next day and then listing them on my web site day, LOL  ..

400? I don't have THAT many saw blades. You guys sure have a way of making me feel inadequate. I feel great if I FINISH a project or two. I get sidetracked so easily. And then there are the "honey-do's" too.

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

400? I don't have THAT many saw blades. You guys sure have a way of making me feel inadequate. I feel great if I FINISH a project or two. I get sidetracked so easily. And then there are the "honey-do's" too.

LOL Ray for me to fill up that drawer with 400 ornaments takes me at least a couple of hours.😂 or... was that a week.. 🤔..

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

Well, where's the pics? Without pics, we can't believe you John T.

Those will be coming in due time. As Kevin said that if new projects then have to take photos and these are all new projects so there will be photos. I will hope to get to by the third week in Nov. and I hope I can match the projects with the pattern makers because there were a few different pattern makers. 

4 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Kevin I am well past that doing any kinds of numbers like that. I would just give this hobby up for sure if I had to go back to that rat race. Now it is one or two of a different project or if I have to replace a sold item from a show. I think I mentioned once before here I took on a job for a customer who wanted 500 ornaments with possibilities of more. After 200 I told her to find someone else. Never could do repetition work and would never take it on again. I even refuse names put on projects. been burned there and swore never to do that again I will leave all that to you eager beavers. I do these projects at this time of the year in bulk because of the 2 shows I have left in the year. These are the only shows I do any more. Again been there done that and had enough. I do this now for fun. 10-- 15  and even 20 years ago I would have been right there with you trying to keep 6 stores filled and doing 7 shows a year. Try those numbers. Especially this time of the year. Plus working at my real construction job. I am retired in more ways than one.

59 minutes ago, rjweb said:

JT, do you also sell pens along with your scroll saw items, I see you posting on the turners forum, I don’t know how you find the time, I am retired and don’t know where the days go, RJ 

RJ, yes I do make pens. I started those about 12 years ago and sell them at my shows too.  I will start making pens again some time in Dec. Shows are over by then. I only make one of a kind pens these days and am into segmenting alot so I like to create new and different things. as far as time goes, some days none and other days I tell everyone do not disturb I am in a zone. 

4 hours ago, NC Scroller said:

I much rather be cutting.  I have dipped, sprayed, wiped and brushed.  There is no perfect method method or finish for everything.

This is true but with all projects weather it is furniture making, pen turning or scroll work, the bottom line is to make it look good it needs a good finish. All part of the process. Unless you can hire someone to do the finishing part I found no easy way but have found dipping in Danish oil to be the most rewarding and easy finish to do. The finish many times separates the good from the best.  Some customers do pay attention.