How do you display your work?

Hermit

I never really gave it much thought when I jumped into this scrolling but I'm curious and would appreciate any other ways besides framing that you display your work. I spent this last weekend making tabs saw jigs for picture frames and splines. Even with making that part easier, I still hate making picture frames. It's just not enjoyable to me. So I'm looking for other ways to do this. Thanks in advance.

It all depends on the type scrolling you are doing. If it is alot of portraits then frames are pretty much needed. Now you can buy frames premade from dollar stores or walmart but your work may need custom frames because of size. You can buy molding already shaped and just cut to size. You can make your work so that it can be displayed on an easel or plate stands as they are called. instead of in a frame. I am sure other will have more ideas. 

I actually like the look of the loose framed stuff from sue mey... Though I've never actually done this yet.. it is one of the things on my to do list.. She has quite a few loose framed patterns that I'd like to do one day.. 

I added a link to one of the loose framed items she has just to show you a picture of how they look and are made..

https://www.scrollsawartist.com/loose-framed-nature-scene-with-eagle.html

I do not like making frames either.  Not sure why, but I don't.  One way I get around it is to cut the picture into a 3/8" or 1/2" board.  But before cutting I route the side of the board to give it more of a frame finish look.  

Example:

IMG_2585.JPG

Edited by Scrappile

I don’t like conventional frames for fretwork and if possible I cut a backboard of ideally 1” stock, but will settle for nominal (3/4”) 1” stock. I feel that for many portraits they display better without being enclosed in a frame. I also virtually always rout out a keyhole slot for hanging them.

293D2F67-CA47-461B-B1D7-271D7F70739C.jpeg

90A72432-BDA9-4250-8627-060AB1E3B089.jpeg

I buy most of the frames that I use. I like the ones from Michaels or JoAnn's, they have lots of styles and the frames are well made. I also buy frames from thrift stores and yard sales. Sometimes they have empty frames (my favorite) other times I will buy the art just to take the frame.

I am also always on the look out for interesting projects that don't require a frame.

On 11/5/2018 at 10:01 AM, Scrappile said:

I do not like making frames either.  Not sure why, but I don't.  One way I get around it is to cut the picture into a 3/8" or 1/2" board.  But before cutting I route the side of the board to give it more of a frame finish look.  

Example:

IMG_2585.JPG

That is the best idea I have seen in a while!  Thank you!