Show went well

JTTHECLOCKMAN

I got back from today's show and things went well. The weather held up till time to go home when it started raining as we got out, so it did not temper the crowd and the crowd was larger than the last 2 years. I believe there is an uptick in the economy because I talked to a few crafters and all said they did better than the last 2 years. This is encouraging. I did well on many of my new items as well as some items that are proven tried and true sellers every year. i cleared just over $1200 which is a normal show when things go well. Still not like the old days when 2 day shows I would do close to $5000 back in the 90's but I will take it  I do not do 2 day shows any more. It encouraged me to do the show again next year. I started having reservations the last 2 years. But that is the show circuit and these days it is more fickle. I had only 2 people who wanted to use a card but being I do not take them they still were able to pay with cash so did not lose the sale. Surprising I did not, and have to check that, I did get one check and it was for a $15 item. Made me laugh some. I usually get 4 or 5 checks per show depending on sales. I do not know if there is anything to read into that or not. 

I did pick up some requests or suggestions as I like to ask potential customers and those that did purchase things, for some new items. So I will work on them over the summer and probably will be here asking for new patterns from our talented pattern makers.  

I hope those doing shows this year find the same results in that the economy is doing better. That is my report and as I said I will post photos of some items and I think my brother who helped took some shots of the setup so I may post them if he sends them to me. All in all a good day. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

That is great news JT.. I'm very happy that you did well.. Love to hear how the craft show market does and while no comparison to online.. I somehow try to compare it to what i do.. In my mind a show like you do with that kind of $ sales.. actually could be worth it.. I've said in the past that I've only done a few shows way back in the beginning.. of my selling.. most were 1-2 day events and just at church type event settings.. I always did $200 - 500 in sales.. but felt my time sitting there was worth more.. in part.. because back then I also had little kids that I had to bring with me as the wife works every weekend.. and shows was always on the weekends.. so lugging around three young ones and setting up.. and the kids getting bored, hungry, and having to go to the bathroom every ( what seems like) few minutes LOL.. everything was just not worth the effort to me for $500.. One day.. I'm going to give the craft show another go at it.. now that the kids are bigger.. shoot.. I most likely could have them run the show now and just stay home and work.. which is what i like..and why online works best for me, LOL

Again, nice to see everyone posting about the craft shows doing good...

Well kevin it is understandable about trying to do shows with kids You do not see that often or at least I have not seen it. Your attention is on doing the right thing with potential customers and if you have to divide that watching kids you are doing a disservice to your customer and yourself. I have always done shows that are juried or at least tried to be juried for there is always the people who claim they make things but clearly China made and passed off as homemade. I bet it happens on Amazon and other sites too. I know all the catalogs out there that sell stuff. I try to do shows that have many crafters and this one has over 200 crafters. It is a High School and a large footprint. Most my shows were in High schools or church schools. Over the years you develop a rolodex of good shows. I stay far away from the small school shows and boutique shows. The PTA shows and the 4 hour shows. Not worth my effort for what I sell. As I said craft show circuit is fickle and changes show to show, event to event, year to year. Many factors come into play. the economy is a big player as well as the organizers, location, and advertising.

I could always go through some of my knowledge of doing shows as I collected over the many years of doing them if you ever decide to return. Some things and rules have not changed and some increased. The do's and dont's,  the highs and lows of doing them, the pitfalls and pleasures. It is and has been a thing I am glad I experienced when I got into scrolling. 

There was a crafter next to me that sold wool sweaters and also tye dyed shirts( I guess that stuff is making a comeback) and he did over $3000 worth of business  . As I said I walked around a little bit to check in with a few friends crafters to see how they were doing and all said it was an uptick to the last couple years and hopefully this is a thing that will continue and I wish success to all doing shows this season. Happy Crafting.