pattern removal made easy

sullyscroller

I cant take credit for this tip but will pas it on .I've tried many ways to put my patterns on my wood and they all work good but getting them off is a pain.I saw an article in Intarsia Times about using Glad Cling wrap and it is great. Just sand your wood first with 120 or 220 grit ,I blow off the dust then lay a piece of GCW over the wood and roll it out with a small wallpaper roller to get out the air bubbles. Make sure you place the sticky side down. Now your ready to glue your pattern on. This trick has save me hours picking off paper & glue. It peals right of but stays in place while you cut. Happy cuttin to you.

Sounds interesting. I'll have to give it a try. I've always used the painters tape first, spray adhesive the pattern, then clear tape over the pattern. Most common method I think. After cutting it all peels off pretty easy. I remember when I first used adhesive directly onto the wood before I knew better. What a pain. Seems like with the GCW that it would lift off the wood for intricate cutting. Even the painters tape does occasionally on tight cuts. I'll try it on something simple first.

Try this, believe me it works-sand wood an wipe clean-spray wood with 3m adhesive spray-lay pattern on top-I go.over the patterns making sure all wrinkles an bubbles are out. you can start drilling holes immediatly, then start cutting your pattern. I have tried several adhesives but none are good as 3m, you will have no trouble with pattern coming loose if you make sure wood is completly covered. When cutting is finished I sand an use a small torch to burn fuzzies off. I never use tape unless to hold wood together on narrow cuts. next I take mineral spirits an paint over pattern. In just a few seconds the pattern will lift off all in one piece. As quick as you get pattern off paint the wood surface with mineral spirits then wipe it down with a cloth. If you will do this under a light an tilt the wood you can tell if you have all the glue off. Don't wait to take glue off. DO NOT take pattern off ahead of using torch, mineral spirits will ignite. (I know from experience)

• 1 month later...

I'm very new at scrolling, but I always use the 3M spray adhesive which is great stuff. Then when it's time to remove the pattern I use a heat gun and all the paper lifts off very easily and quickly. No fuss, no muss. Just my 2 cents worth. Why is it that it always costs 2 cents, yet you only get a penny for your thoughts?

i have a spray bottle filled with odor free mineral spirits. I spray on ,let it soak and pull off the pattern in one piece ,no matter how delicate the pattern,sometines a second spraying is in order.I all so use low tack repositi0nal spray by "elmers" but any low tack works.Sometines i have to spray both the wood and pattern with the glue .Sometimes i let dry and sometimes i apply the pattern wet on wet.Tip's and trick's!My patterns come off so good you can reuse the pattern!Even a delicate lords prayer comes off in one piece. :)

Everybody might ought to try this . I use shelf lining paper . You can get it at Lowes Home Improvements or any hardware store. it has a sticky on the back to put in kitchen cabinets. They have all hinds of colors and textures. Me I use the white . I cover the whole piece of wood with the shelf liner and glue the pattern to it. just cut the shelf lining paper to size peel off the paper on the back and stick it to your wood. It works great when your done cutting you peel the shelf lining paper right off and the pattern comes off with it . No heating burning or mineral spirits. That is what I do . Thanks Eagledrum70 :thumbs:

I have cut shelf paper into 8 x 10 inch sheets and printed my patterns right onto them instead of normal paper using my printer

take from printer, remove back, adhear to wood and start cutting

White or cloudy clear works well for me, but I hear that baby blue is very good also.

I buy it in rolls from Lowes, home depot or whereever it is on sale..

cutting is easy now that I found one of them school house cutting boards we all use to have in art class. $2 bucks at a yard sale. :)

Chance