Attaching patterns

kywoodmaster

As John  says it can only be done with laser printers but there are different ways, one is you can also use an iron on the pattern on but don't use the one the wife uses. Another is to print onto non absorbing material like the backing sheet for labels and carefully place it on the wood. Steve Ramsey has a video on this method. With all these it must be remembered to reverse the pattern before doing it.

The best way that I've found to transfer a laser printed image to the wood is to iron it on. The ink from a laser printer is a high temperature wax, so heat melts it. Just print your image on white paper as a mirrored image and then place it face down on the wood. Use tape along one edge so you can hinge the paper up to see the progress, and then apply the iron to the paper. The hot iron will transfer the image to the wood. Inspect the progress frequently and re-heat any spot that didn't transfer well. This works best when you print the image with a very dark setting of the laser printer. Line drawings without background or fill works best.

Charley

5 hours ago, CharleyL said:

The best way that I've found to transfer a laser printed image to the wood is to iron it on. The ink from a laser printer is a high temperature wax, so heat melts it. Just print your image on white paper as a mirrored image and then place it face down on the wood. Use tape along one edge so you can hinge the paper up to see the progress, and then apply the iron to the paper. The hot iron will transfer the image to the wood. Inspect the progress frequently and re-heat any spot that didn't transfer well. This works best when you print the image with a very dark setting of the laser printer. Line drawings without background or fill works best.

Charley

Thank you so much for sharing this. I've struggled all week trying to 'transfer' a picture onto wood with 'tracing paper', then I read this and 'Bingo' I had it done in minutes. Not only that I burned it this evening and I'm quite pleased with the result. I've put a pic in the 'Other Woodwork' forum.  I couldn't have done it without your input. !!!

I've tried the laser printer transfer, both acetone and heat, before with hit and miss success.  This could all be my fault, not saying it's not worth a try.

A gentleman named Brad Rodriguez has a YouTube channel called "Fix this build that" and recently covered multiple ways of transferring to wood.  I thought he did a good job and plan to try some of his methods in the future.  Link to his video below.

5 ways to print to wood