First Compound Cutting

Rockytime

That was my first compound, too!  Its a fun cut!

Steve's site recommends leaving the cutouts in place when flipping the piece over to cut the second side.  I found that, for me at least, taking the cutout scrap OUT makes the second side easier to cut.  I was worried about structural stability and my jig crushing the piece like an eggshell, but even with some of the very thin pieces (more scrap removed than wood remained) I've done, I never found that a problem.  Never had an issue feeding my blade through the guide holes, and the reduced amount of wood to cut through meant that the second side was actually easier.

I have a clamp made from Steve Good's plans but I did not use it. Since there were no cuts going to the outside of the blank it was not needed. I normally drill my holes with the Dremel router attachment but discovered it would not drill deep enough so I used my drill press. 1/8" drill.

19 hours ago, Rockytime said:

Steve Good mentioned that HD had 2x2" clear pine. I bought a length and it is exactly 3/4X3/4. Eight footer was about $12 with tax. So this is my first try with a Steve Good pattern. Started with an Olson #5 skip tooth but switched to a #7 Pegas MG. Still needs some sanding and de-burring.

1-20181214_153553.jpg

Very nice Les. Keep the pics coming. I love seeing what everybody is making.

Looks pretty good, especially for your first attempt. I tend to use use smaller blades. They cut slower, but the cuts are smoother, resulting in less or no sanding. Sharp turns are less of a problem too. 

Compound cutting opens up a whole new world of scroll sawing. I have done very little flat work since first getting into compound cutting about 20 years ago. Be careful, it's a very slippery slope.

Charley

15 hours ago, CharleyL said:

Looks pretty good, especially for your first attempt. I tend to use use smaller blades. They cut slower, but the cuts are smoother, resulting in less or no sanding. Sharp turns are less of a problem too. 

Compound cutting opens up a whole new world of scroll sawing. I have done very little flat work since first getting into compound cutting about 20 years ago. Be careful, it's a very slippery slope.

Charley

I haven't done too much yet but I can see from the small amount that I have done, it could become addictive.

I have made this pattern also and I also like to use a #7 for wood this thick.  One reason someone would leave the loose pieces in place while doing the second cut is that it keeps the cutting slower = more control.  I sold the one I made, first time, I offered it for sale.  I moved on to making toys/ornaments using this process, and have made and given away hundreds of those.