Which saw to buy?

Pizza

Hi All,

I would very much like to hear your thoughts on a good scroll saw.  My budget is between $500-$800 for everything  

I am new to scrolling and was going to get a DeWalt DW788 with light and stand from Rockler for $500.

After more research I was wondering if it was worth spending a bit more for another saw. 

Would love to buy an Excalibur 21 but now that they are made in China and there is no reliable reviews and one has to wonder why the price drop. Excalibur 21” with foot switch and stand $750.

The King Industrial XL-16 is $730 for saw and stand but is sold in a different state (NH Woodcraft store, a couple hours away from me)

Just trying to figure out which may be the most bang for my buck as well as availabilty for repairs if/when needed. 

Hawk and Hegner are out of my scroll saw budget. 

I have spent the last 6 months watching ads (while renovatng my house),FB and craigslist for good used scroll saws and there have been none near me. 

Thanks for the help

Everybody had their opinions on saws. 😉 a quick search here would find lots of threads with lots of thoughts and opinions.

Check out the Seyco Saw here: http://seyco.com/scroll-saws-etc/ just at or a little above your top end budget at $879 with stand and with free shipping right now.

i have one of the first ones that was released for sale. Seyco used to sell the Excalibur’s here in the US and were the go to support for many for help and repairs. I have been pleased with my Seyco. I have it and an older Excalibur I had previously bought used. The Seyco is my primary go to Saw. I had a nice original Dewalt Type 1 Saw, first but I prefer my Excalibur and Seyco to the Dewalt. Lots of folks love their Dewalts though and if it best fits your budget, that is a pretty good deal I think.

If you have never used a Scroll saw before I don't think I would go for the top end saws, yow may not like scrolling or might not be able to do it I have some friends who tired it and didn't like it. they say that the porter cable is a good starter saw at $300 I had one and returned it after a week. didn't like the chaining of the blade. I had two Dewalt's  788 one used and one new Both were worn out with in 2 years and the cost was too high to repair. The new one was in the shop within 6 months the electronics went out on it and the service was rotten, so This time I  B bought a Delta for $400 and ran it all summer with no problems and it has a 5 year Werrenty  The delta is not a digressive as the Dewalt. so it takes a little longer to cut a project.

IKE

I have an EX21 and love it. I started out on lower quality saws to see how it would go and if I was going to stay with it. I seriously would suggest something a long this path. Like said above, you may or may not like it. I know a lot of people that started with a DeWalt and were happy with it. 

I have 2 used saws. One the Dewalt is a great saw once I tuned it up. The other is the EX21 that I fell into on a deal. It's a 2010 model and I love it very much. Like others have said the table is a bit on the small side but so far, I haven't had a problem with that. If you are really afraid of the Chinese EX's I'd spend a bit more and buy the Seyco. Same type mechanism. Very smooth operation.

If buying new... personally I'd suggest a DeWalt for the simple reason they are popular saws and hold their value pretty well... heck 15 year old DeWalts are still bringing near $300 for used ones. probably the easiest saw to sell and recoop most of your money back from... if you decide the hobby isn't for you.. many times a DeWalt can be bought cheap enough on sale that if you don't like it you'd get all your money back in selling it as a used saw.. I bought mine on a Christmas special from Grizzly for $340 with stand and light.. now that was years ago ( 2008) but at that time they was regular priced at about $450.. at that time.. many used ones was selling for $300 - 350 so it was a no brainer for me to buy that saw.... Still have it and have put a lot of hours on that thing... 

Usually the only time I find awesome deals on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace is when I'm broke... otherwise they are asking as much as new cost for stuff when I'm actually looking to buy something and have the cash.. 😂

That said though... I've found and bought more than my share of deals... 

46 minutes ago, hotshot said:

Pegas saws will be here soon:  http://scrollsawer.com/2018/12/05/product-review-pegas-scroll-saw/

That should shake things up a bit!

-----------Randy

Another freaking knock-off. People can not think of new innovative ideas on their own so lets make the same saw paint it different and add a different name. Pretty red color. Goes with the green, blue and silver and black out there. Line them all up in a row and tell me the difference. Love my RBI even more now. 😀

Like JT I love my Hawk G4 (2005 vintage). But I am also in the market for a new saw, not as a replacement for my Hawk but a lighter more portable saw to take to presentations and other events.  I also want a saw that has some different features than my Hawk. The only big difference out there is the blade and motor assembly tilting vs the typical table tilt.

So that means the EX style saws. I never liked the blade clamp assembly on these types of saws. If you are even slightly heavy handed you will spread the clamps and have to replace the arms. Pegas has resolved that issue with their replacement clamps. I was going to go for the King 16" and then upgrade the clamps to the Pegas. For the same money Introductory price the new Pegas combo is looking real good.

JT regarding saw designs, not to many ways you can move the blade. The only really innovative saw with a true vertical stroke was the Eclipse. It was a complex saw. the rest are saws like the Hegner and Hawk. The Hawk won out because of the top feed capability. and then the EX style saws which are pretty much the same saw just rebranded and painted. Although the Pegas comes with significantly better clamps. The Seyco saw has supper support but his design made some strange changes like removing the the table adjustment gear and I am not a fan of the strange top. (just my opinion)  

JT regarding saw designs, not to many ways you can move the blade. 

Understood. But just in the type of saw that Pegas is there are 4 saws all the same coming off the same assembly line with different colors on it. The blade clamping system that pegas is using is somewhat different and is available as an aftermarket thing. All in the same price group. Heck you can even throw in the Dewalt line because that was the basis of these saws too. Do we really need more saws.  Well add this one to the many many many questions as to what saw to buy. 😀

Don't forget about the two newer Jet saws.. a 18" and a 22".. basically the same design as the Excalibur with a different clamping system.. Lower clamps are like the old style barrel lamp of the Hawks.. and the upper one is a complete different mechanism that I think I'd personally love.. well at least the concept seems cool.. haven't used it so cannot speak about it.. they sort of have a love hate deal with those that own them.. some love the clamps.. others hate it and bought the Pegas, LOL

4 hours ago, Rolf said:

.... I was going to go for the King 16" and then upgrade the clamps to the Pegas. For the same money Introductory price the new Pegas combo is looking real good....

The problem is that the Pegas 21" is going to be considerably heavier than the King 16".  Ironically, after you upgrade the clamps to Pegas on a King, the price will be about the same for the King 16" as the Pegas 21"

Edited by hotshot

5 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

JT regarding saw designs, not to many ways you can move the blade. 

Understood. But just in the type of saw that Pegas is there are 4 saws all the same coming off the same assembly line with different colors on it. The blade clamping system that pegas is using is somewhat different and is available as an aftermarket thing. All in the same price group. Heck you can even throw in the Dewalt line because that was the basis of these saws too. Do we really need more saws.  Well add this one to the many many many questions as to what saw to buy. 😀

The one thing that comes to mind with the Pegas is, did they demand better product quality? The others coming out of China may or may not be very good. Nobody knows yet but with Pegas, I would think that they would demand high quality before they put their name on them. I can't imagine them accepting a "cheaply made knock-off".

1 minute ago, octoolguy said:

The one thing that comes to mind with the Pegas is, did they demand better product quality? The others coming out of China may or may not be very good. Nobody knows yet but with Pegas, I would think that they would demand high quality before they put their name on them. I can't imagine them accepting a "cheaply made knock-off".

That's the devil in the details.  Chinese manufacturing is capable of making top quality products, so just because something is made in China, doesn't necessarily have to mean it's inferior.  The parent company has to specify tolerances, components and testing protocols to achieve the level of quality they want.  The fact that manufacturers aren't necessarily re-inventing the wheel doesn't mean they aren't building a better mousetrap. 

1 minute ago, Bill WIlson said:

That's the devil in the details.  Chinese manufacturing is capable of making top quality products, so just because something is made in China, doesn't necessarily have to mean it's inferior.  The parent company has to specify tolerances, components and testing protocols to achieve the level of quality they want.  The fact that manufacturers aren't necessarily re-inventing the wheel doesn't mean they aren't building a better mousetrap. 

Well Bill by now then we should have that ultimate saw out there that has all the features us scroller are looking for. Can you name that saw??? Is this that saw??  Should be being the latest one on the market. Every manufacturer has their gizmos and gadgets  and selling talk but in the end it still comes down to what you think will make scrolling easier for you and more enjoyable. Why has none of these companies come up with a dust collection system built into their saws. Can easily be done. They all should. Health issues are always a concern. Look at Saw Stop.