Glue Stix

Rockytime

I finished another of Steve Good's compound patterns. On a previous one I used 3M spray adhesive on the pattern and applied it directly to the wood. A quick dip in BLO removed the pattern and I just wiped off the remaining adhesive. I cut another one today but used a Scotch glue stick applying the adhesive to the wood and then applying the pattern to the wood. A lengthy soaking in BLO would not remove the pattern. No problem as it will come off on my belt sander.

Others use glue sticks. I have to presume you use painters tape first. Is that correct?

Rocky. I use different methods at different times. I sometime use painters tape with glue sticks. I rub the painters tape with the glue stick and also the back of the pattern with the glue stick, The pattern has never raised from the piece when I do I that way. No residue on the wood that way. I have also used spray glue only on the back of the pattern but I use paint thinner on the pattern face and wait about two minutes and the remaining pattern literally falls off the wood. If is does stick a little I will use a paper towel dipped in the paint thinner and wipe away the remaining residue. If I am in a hurry and do not wish to wait for the paint thinner to dry so I can start to put on a coat of finish, then I use the tape and stick glue. I buy the big glue sticks with the blue glue in them

Dick

heppnerguy

1 hour ago, heppnerguy said:

Rocky. I use different methods at different times. I sometime use painters tape with glue sticks. I rub the painters tape with the glue stick and also the back of the pattern with the glue stick, The pattern has never raised from the piece when I do I that way. No residue on the wood that way. I have also used spray glue only on the back of the pattern but I use paint thinner on the pattern face and wait about two minutes and the remaining pattern literally falls off the wood. If is does stick a little I will use a paper towel dipped in the paint thinner and wipe away the remaining residue. If I am in a hurry and do not wish to wait for the paint thinner to dry so I can start to put on a coat of finish, then I use the tape and stick glue. I buy the big glue sticks with the blue glue in them

Dick

heppnerguy

Is there a brand name on them Heppnerguy?

I use glue sticks most of the time. On my own projects I put painters tape down, then glue stick. 

For the kids at school,  most of the time I just glue stick right to the wood. The patterns usually peal off nicely. 

I use school type glue sticks. Currently Elmer's disappearing purple school glue. I bought a bunch when school supplies were on sale in the fall.

You can get glue stick that are repositionable made by Elmer’s and available at Michaels and other stores. You can apply it directly to the wood and it comes off easy, not for intricate work as it comes off quite easy. I used it all the time for 3D cuttings I.e mini bird houses.

13 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Is there a brand name on them Heppnerguy?

it is Elmer washable school glue stick, I buy mine is the large 1.4 oz size and it lasts a long time. Just be sure and put the lid on when you are finished using it. Very inexpensive way to go and it works well. I have never had a problem with a pattern coming off even on intricate fret IF I put the glue on both my painters tape and the back of the pattern as well

Dick

heppnerguy

2 hours ago, Rockytime said:

I think I will try to use the glue stick for small patterns instead of spray adhesive. Spraying small patterns wastes alot of adhesive.

Another thing to do is use clear packing tape on top of your pattern when you used the glue stick, it lubricate your blades and keep the pattern from lifting.

When i cut fretwork I wouldn't consider blue painter tape. I have made shelves with 250 to 300 holes in them .Blue tape is a big pain removing  on that type work so I use re positional spray glue directly on the paper , in fact I use it most of the time. I use mineral spirits to remove the pattern  It's a lot easier

IKE

Here is what I use for quick pattern glue-ups -- https://www.amazon.com/Removable-Restickable-Stick-49oz-Repositionable/dp/B001GXFB4K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1545190528&sr=8-2&keywords=repositionable+glue+stick

Scotch Removable Restickable Glue Stick, .49oz

I spread the glue on the back of the pattern, then stick the pattern to the wood. Pattern peels off after cutting with no problems. If you let it set on the pattern for a couple of days you may have to sand it off or use some mineral spirits.

Note - this is not my main way of gluing patterns to wood. I normally use the Xyron machine with the repositionable glue paper. The glue sticks are for one-offs and quick fixes.