Guress Dad got his money worth

JimErn

I was doing some router work, started smelling electrical insulation, finished and took a look.

The cord is shot, bare wires, all three colors.  So I take it off the table and start taking it apart thinking to replace the power cord.

I can not get it apart!!  Craftsman power unit, Model 315-25050 made in 1956 according to the data plate.

I like the table mounted router unit, but looking around Amazon I see a couple that look like you can move the motor to the table or use as a hand held. 

like:
https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-Combination-Horsepower-Variable-1617EVSPK/dp/B00005RHPD?ref_=Oct_BSellerC_552866_0&pf_rd_p=97c8d7ae-9852-5fc1-a63e-d697a050b7a1&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=552866&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=7NB35F2VH5A016QW9B50&pf_rd_r=7NB35F2VH5A016QW9B50&pf_rd_p=97c8d7ae-9852-5fc1-a63e-d697a050b7a1

or

https://www.amazon.com/Makita-RT0701CX7-1-1-Compact-Router/dp/B00HAQMHEO?ref_=Oct_BSellerC_552866_2&pf_rd_p=97c8d7ae-9852-5fc1-a63e-d697a050b7a1&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=552866&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=7NB35F2VH5A016QW9B50&pf_rd_r=7NB35F2VH5A016QW9B50&pf_rd_p=97c8d7ae-9852-5fc1-a63e-d697a050b7a1

BUT  I am not stuck on that flexibility either, never had it up to now. 

Recommendations?

Light to moderate use I guess, kind of hard to quantify that kind of thing

Jim

I didn't want to spend a bunch of money on a new router so I went and did a bunch of reading on them. I found a like new Dewalt 610 on eBay. I think I paid $60 for it. Then I got to thinking about having a plunge router. I found that I could buy just the plunge attachment for it. I found a used one, again like new, on Amazon if I recall, and gave $85 for it. So for $145 dollars I have a great setup. I made a large faceplate for it and use it in my B&D workmate. I love it.

Most routers today are interchangable platforms. I have a couple of the Bosch in your first link but do not have set up on a router table. I have a bunch of the Bosch colt routers and usually dedicate them for small specific jobs. I have a old sears craftsman router table I use when I want to do some routing outdoors to keep dirt levels in check and on that table I have a porta cable 690 router on it http://www.toolbarn.com/portercable-690lr.html/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping(BSC)&utm_keyword=portercable-690LR&utm_content=s8jR2qvs_pcrid_11075488918_pkw_product_pmt_b_pdv_c&utm_source=bing&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Shopping(BSC)&utm_medium=cpc&msclkid=09ebacf4af751ea4bc07f0d4e9f42733

But my main full size router table I have a Freud 2-1/2 HP plunge VS router. On the outdoor table the height is adjusted by turning the body and that is fine for rough work. NON variable speed, again fine for not fine work. Will never use large bits on it because it is such a small table top.But the main table is where I need both VS because of the different cuts and size bits plus it allows me to easily raise and lower the bit with a turn of a handle. The motor needs to be at least 1-1/2HP to be effective. I also have other larger routers that if I want can switch out on the table or use by hand. I love the soft start of those routers. 

Now here are some thoughts on routers. If you are staying in the mid size range you want one that can accept 1/2" bits and also 1/4" bits. When doing heavy cutting you want a larger shaft bit to help eliminate chatter and prevent accidental breaking of the shaft and having it fly at you. 1/4" bits are fine for small basic cuts. You always want carbide bits. Do not even look at steel bits. I like routers with soft start but not all my routers are but i know how to deal with them. Never use a foot switch on a router even though they say they are made for them. Dangerous situations happen especially when you do not shut router off. Take small bites with any router. Do not try to take entire cut off at once. Makes for a choppy cut. I can go on and on but that is it for now. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

I have the Bosch like in your first link.  I have had it mounted in my router table for quite a few years.  Never have had any problems with it.  It takes both 1/2" and  1/4" bits.  Like JTTHECLOCKMAN, I have an old Craftsman to do dirty work with.  I use it about once every 3 or 4 years. 

16 minutes ago, tomsteve said:

ive read a lot of people happy with their bosch 1617 routers.

the VS comes in handy when using larger diameter bits. they like to run at slower rpm's.

I love mine. Every router bit has a safe run speed. Each good quality bit will come with a speed marked on the wrapping and some are imprinted on the bit shaft. 

I have at least 7 routers.  One is the Bosch 1617 and is mounted in a table.  It's a nice router.  I also have a couple DeWalt 618's, one was a 3 base kit.  I've used all 3 bases.  In fact, I bought another motor, just so I could keep the plunge and the D-handle set up and ready to go.  The DeWalt 618'ss are nice routers, but I'm not sure I would recommend them.  They had a problem with the magneto self destructing.  At best, this meant you lost variable speed.  At worst, the router wouldn't work at all.  It happened to one of mine a few years ago.  I bought parts and got it fixed, but am waiting for the other one to go.  This was a pretty common problem with these routers.  Not sure if DeWalt ever got the problem fixed on new ones or not.