King 16" saw vibration?

Rolf

One of our club members has just bought a new King 16" saw. I have not seen it yet but he tells me that it vibrates a lot. He is new to scrolling and is going from a HF saw to the King.

He has no real baseline on what he should expect from this saw.  As soon as I have some time I will go check it out for him. Any one have this saw? If so what are your thoughts.?

My EX-21 vibrated quite badly when I first got it.. and was probably the hardest of the scroll saws I've had to get tuned and getting it mounted solid on the stand with the stand legs planed firm on the ground.. Now it runs real smooth.. Another thing with my saw was the fact that there was several bolts loose on the saw.. must have been made at the end of shift on a Friday or something.. dang near every bolt in and on the saw was loose.. Guess right out of the box.. gave me my first bad impression.. I now like the saw but.. LOL.. really started off as a bad experience.. that I guess I haven't been able to let go of.. certainly a nice cutting saw now.. but certainly not what I would call ready to run straight out of the box..

Curious how my Hawk is going to be after Iggy's experience.. Hoping they don't ruin my Hawk experience and force me to send it back for a Twain saw :) ..  

When a person bought an Excaliber from Seyco, it came all tuned up, least mine did.  The Kings and the now Excaliburs come from the factory, without going through Seyco to be tuned.  I would suspect there is tuning required, such a getting the motor turned to the most optimal position, blade lined up 90' to the table and centered to the hole.... etc.

Every power tool I have ever bought needed something either tightened, loosened or just plane adjusted. When you think of what these tools must go through in their journey from China/Taiwan to here in the U.S. I'm surprised that more "fixing" isn't needed. They are getting much better though. Too many people expect a tool to be ready to use right out of the box but that is really expecting way too much.

I do agree.. only power tool I bought new that didn't really need anything was my DeWalt 788.. I expect to fine tune a saw... Don't expect to have loose bolts that hold the actual saw together etc.. but having to level the saw table and square blade up is something to be expected.. For what it's worth.. my saw was before they moved to a different plant.. so maybe they are better now or mine was just a fluke deal.. I had a lot of issues with mine... not only with the saw but believe mine may have had a defective upper clamp.. 

Someone brought up a good point about Ray tuning every saw before they left his business.. I know they sold tons of them from places besides Seyco too and have heard a few instances where they had to call Ray to help get their saw running right.. there could have always been a quality issue with them that Ray took care of.. so many people may not have seen any issues like those that may have bought elsewhere..  

They are great little saws once they are tuned... 

I have had to fine tune all the power tools I own. New out of the box and freshly assembled in my shop. The only exception was my Excalibur Saw. I bought it from Ray at Seyco and it was perfect out of the box. You do have to tune all your equipment up after using it for a while, if nothing else to make sure square is square, 45* is 45* and so forth. Bolting down a scroll saw to a steady heavy base is a must. Makes an amazing difference in everything. 

23 hours ago, ike said:

when I bought the DW 788 I mounted it on rubber pads. I did that with all my scroll saws before I ever turned one on. It softens up any vibrations it may have.

IKE

I agree. I have those H/F piece - together mats in my little shop and when I put them under my saw, it really took the vibration out of it.

6 hours ago, hineps said:

I have a `6" King Saw. Out of the box it was glass smooth. The only adjusting was to make the cut less aggressive. I have had no negative issues with it so far. I do a lot of fret work.

Phil

We need to hear from everyone who has purchased any of the "new breed" of Excalibur saws. Lots of folks waiting to hear whether they are any good or not.