new to the village

Smitty

I am Michael Smith from Nebraska. I am new to the Scroll Saw Village but not new to the scroll saw. The old Rockwell Homecraft scroll saw that my dad had when I was a kid was the first powered cutting tool that I was allowed to use. I was about 5 and had to stand on a stool to get up to where I could use it. Well dad has been gone for years, but I still have the saw and I have done a lot with it over the years. A week ago I bought the Dewalt DW788 and got it on December 27. This really opens up a new world for me. I now have control over blade tension and blade changing is a lot easier than with the old saw that is older than I am. not to mention the arm that lifts up...The first thing I did with it was a portrait of Heisenberg from Breaking bad for my son to hang in his office.

I am very much interested in making portraits of all the family members as gifts. What I am lacking presently is experience with creating patterns from photographs. I guess I have a learning curve to climb.  have Gimp on the computer at home but have not yet tried to do this.

My shop is full of about every type of power and hand tool a guy could ever want, having been accumulating it since I was a teenager. I am now 61 and looking forward to retirement and a lot of time spent dong what I love in the shop. I am pleased to finally have a shop in the basement for the last 2 years after having spent my whole life in the garage and contending with the whims of the weather.

Mike