The Great Quandary

Haven't touched the scroll saw yet this year because I'm having the quandary of what to do with the stuff after I've cut it. Really no more places in the house to put the projects. And besides that, the wife and I are slowly getting rid of stuff (attacked the excess Christmas ornaments almost all hand crafted). Friends, family and neighbors are over dosing with the projects as well. Although I have sold some stuff over the years, I'm too old and crotchety to get into the business aspect of it whether at craft shows or online. Would still like to do another heirloom clock or some of these great projects that the rest of you have done, but what do I do with them when I'm finished? Designer firewood?  Well, enough of my funk. Just wondering if a few of you out there have the same feelings and how you're handling it?

Blake

Could always make things for those less fortunate? Not sure where you'd go to donate the stuff.. but i'm sure there has to be a charity type thing where you could give your work to and let them sell it to raise money for those that may be in need.. I sell ( or at least try too ) everything I make.. I do have some things that I've never sold since back in the beginning of my scrolling days back around 2006.. I'm not one to "lower prices" just to get rid of stuff.. I'd rather send it to the local goodwill that to lower the price... but this is due to the fact that.. a lower price isn't the issue with these things.. its more about getting it out in the view of the person that would like it.. is been more my experience with selling the stuff.. 

Like Kevin, I give a lot of stuff to charities. They'll put it in one of their auctions or drawings. I've actually gotten a bit of commission business from it.

The downside to that is when I got a local religious/political group expecting me to make them a couple of intarsia eagles for their "cause". I politely declined to make the projects until one of them made some snide threats.  Then they were told to go pound sand.

Edited by tgiro

I try to donate toys I make from scrap wood to various charities at least 1 time a year, @ years ago I donated 3 times to 2 different charities not counting Toys for Tots (these are not from scrap) Not knowing what type projects you make the suggestions are limited. Crosses and religious items to churches, Puzzles to Kids or old folks homes. Just a couple ideas

Have to agree with everyone else. Charity auctions or even church auctions would be glad to have your work. It is a win win if you are not strapped for cash from the materials. I still do a few craft shows that is how I get rid of some stuff plus the chariety thing. I now make things that are new and challenging. Always an avenue to pass on the projects so keep at it.

Might contact the local schools.. I've donated many items to my kids school for fund raisers to go on school trips etc... I did this because my kids were the ones raising money and the class was doing fund raising etc.. but I'm betting the school would be thrilled to get some free fund raiser items to auction off etc.. this way you help a child get the opportunity to go that otherwise may not be able to afford it.... Just a thought..  

I've thought about what you are all saying even before I posted. Over the years, I've probably given away 80% of what I have done. But I have done it on a one on one basis when I know the receiver really appreciates the effort. This gives me the personal gratification for all the hours I've put into a project even forgetting the expense. By submitting to a charitable organization, be it school, church or whatever, I wouldn't be there to get that gratification. Sorry to say, I'm no Mother Theresa. I need my ego stroked. I know that someone like Kevin or others who sell have that ego stroked when they get an order from the same client or find out that client has sent them new clients. So I'll keep working at it because I love scrolling.

10 minutes ago, ScollSaw Slasher said:

I've thought about what you are all saying even before I posted. Over the years, I've probably given away 80% of what I have done. But I have done it on a one on one basis when I know the receiver really appreciates the effort. This gives me the personal gratification for all the hours I've put into a project even forgetting the expense. By submitting to a charitable organization, be it school, church or whatever, I wouldn't be there to get that gratification. Sorry to say, I'm no Mother Theresa. I need my ego stroked. I know that someone like Kevin or others who sell have that ego stroked when they get an order from the same client or find out that client has sent them new clients. So I'll keep working at it because I love scrolling.

Totally understand that... and yes when a order comes in you do the happy dance that someone liked my item so much they bought it.. and then when they leave a awesome review about their purchase is very cool too.. or when they send more customers.. so yeah.. I really understand what you're saying.. which is why I have a hard time letting things go for nothing or giving to goodwill etc..on a side note though.. when I do that.. my website link is for sure on that piece somewhere, LOL.. never know.. that person might be my next customer for something else.. and.. I write it off on taxes as advertisements so ideally... I do get something out of it... plus I clean up the storage space... but much harder to do something like that if you're not in business.. 

Not true Les, but funny!

I had the ultimate insult a couple weeks ago.  My outdoorsman, hunting  sportsman brother-in-law was visiting.  He was looking at the pictures I have done, lots of animal ones, deer, moose, lions and tigers, etc.  I said to him, "if you see any you would like to have help yourself."  He looked for a while and then just walked off,,, not a word!!! 😟 I guess the puts me in my place!:cry::sad:

Edited by Scrappile

21 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

Not true Les, but funny!

I had the ultimate insult a couple weeks ago.  My outdoorsman, hunting  sportsman brother-in-law was visiting.  He was looking at the pictures I have done, lots of animal ones, deer, moose, lions and tigers, etc.  I said to him, "if you see any you would like to have help yourself."  He looked for a while and then just walked off,,, not a word!!! 😟 I guess the puts me in my place!:cry::sad:

The man has no taste outside of his mouth. 

28 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

Not true Les, but funny!

Some people don't know good stuff when they see it, including myself... my brother in law loves to come here and look through my scrap piles.. He has taken things that I was going to burn or throw out.. he made some real nice coasters one year off of scraps from a box I had made.. then he took a piece of scrap last time he was here and added some more pieces to it and made a real nice lazy susan out of it.. I need to re-evaluate my scraps better.... 

Many years ago, when we were living in Colorado Springs, Barb and I owned a Hallmark store. When we bought it, part of the inventory were some wooden candle holders that a guy was making on his lathe and putting them in the store on consignment. They were already priced when we took over and didn't realize that they were a consigned item. We got screwed on the deal because we sold them after paying for them in the inventory. Then one day, the guy comes in and wants his money after seeing that they were all gone. We felt bad enough about it that we paid him what he was due and just ate it. Anyway, if you go that route, make sure you have some sort of an agreement in writing and check your inventory on a timely basis. The folks we bought the store from turned out be real crooks and everybody around town knew it except us. Oh well..................