A Little Bit of Fun Scrolling

Scrappile

21 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Last week I did the final cutting on one of the biggest scrolling project I have undertook. I still have the sanding, mounting and finish to do on that project, but I needed a break from it.  At about the same time I read @Foxfold's post of a compound cutting video.  I started watching it and decided to go check out the guy's site.  ( JEPlans.com ). Compound cutting fascinates me because I am always surprised how you cut the pattern, take the block of wood apart and here is a neat little whatever it is you were hoping you would have.  I look around the site and find a pattern for a pretty simple, but cute nutcracker, like for the ballet.  When my daughter was little she danced in it a few years as she progressed through ballet classes.  It was always fun to go watch her and all the little ballerinas.  So I thought it would be fun to make for her and bring  back some memories for her. 

This was really fun for me to make.  All pieces are compound cut.  His plans are very well done and he has a Youtube video on making this project.  The plan give you a choice of 2 sizes to make.  This is the bigger one, stands 7" tall.   The plan was $3.  So here he is in all his glory.  Sorry I am not much of a painter, and boy I did not realize how shaky I am.  I would like to do another some day, a little more detailed and bigger.  The hair was the hardest part to cut, I could not believe it came our of that little block of wood when I was done. 

nutcracker 1.jpg

nutcracker 2.jpg

nutcracker 3.jpg

Very nice Paul. I'm looking forward to my next compound cut. It's fun. You did a great job on this. I like the paint too.

21 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Last week I did the final cutting on one of the biggest scrolling project I have undertook. I still have the sanding, mounting and finish to do on that project, but I needed a break from it.  At about the same time I read @Foxfold's post of a compound cutting video.  I started watching it and decided to go check out the guy's site.  ( JEPlans.com ). Compound cutting fascinates me because I am always surprised how you cut the pattern, take the block of wood apart and here is a neat little whatever it is you were hoping you would have.  I look around the site and find a pattern for a pretty simple, but cute nutcracker, like for the ballet.  When my daughter was little she danced in it a few years as she progressed through ballet classes.  It was always fun to go watch her and all the little ballerinas.  So I thought it would be fun to make for her and bring  back some memories for her. 

This was really fun for me to make.  All pieces are compound cut.  His plans are very well done and he has a Youtube video on making this project.  The plan give you a choice of 2 sizes to make.  This is the bigger one, stands 7" tall.   The plan was $3.  So here he is in all his glory.  Sorry I am not much of a painter, and boy I did not realize how shaky I am.  I would like to do another some day, a little more detailed and bigger.  The hair was the hardest part to cut, I could not believe it came our of that little block of wood when I was done. 

nutcracker 1.jpg

nutcracker 2.jpg

nutcracker 3.jpg

Paul, did you check out any of his other plans? I love the Sterling engine and jet engine videos. I'm going to start gathering the necessary stuff to try one.

6 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Paul, did you check out any of his other plans? I love the Sterling engine and jet engine videos. I'm going to start gathering the necessary stuff to try one.

Ya, I spent some time there yesterday, look and watching videos.  I'd like to try the little sterling engine someday.

Thanks all for the nice comments.  I had so much fun making this that I increased the size of the pattern by 20% and I am gluing  up a few pieces of wood to the size needed to cut it.  That is as big as I can cut with my saw.  May try to add a few extras, like a hat with a bill, a belt that looks more like a belt... I don't know, just having fun.

Paul.... You broke your New Years resolution about not buying any more patterns...OH, you know that already and don't need me to tell you about it? I sit here in awe, looking at your little nut cracker and wondering if there is anything that you can't do. Obviously there is not. This is one of the cutest pieces I have ever seen done on a scroll saw. I remember the first time I saw the little heart basket that looked like it was woven and saw it was cut on a scroll saw. I had no idea, at the time, that something like that was even possible. That is the pattern made by Steve Good. That little basket got me into scrolling. I had to try it. And then along came Paul and blows me away once more with a piece that looks unbelievable to do, and I have been cutting for quite some time and did not think I would have that kind of wonderment hit me ever again. But you did it. 

What a cool little guy. I am not a nut cracker kind of guy but this one is just terrific. :woot:

Dick

heppnerguy