Winter Wonder Land

Rockytime

We finally got it, snow that is. Balmy 24 degrees outside. I am unable to shovel and altho my wife has always liked snow shoveling, being Canadian, we just paid someone to do the shoveling. The snow looks nice and fluffy but it is remarkably heavy. Being retired is nice since I don't have to go anywhere. Nice thing is we will be in the high 50's this coming Saturday.

1-20190128_104622.jpg

2-20190128_104835.jpg

18 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

We lived in it long enough to realize that it's really only good for skiing and now we are too old for that.

It's good for spinning donuts in empty parking lots too.. saves on tires is what my kids say 😂.. Oh I remember those days myself... Now I just try to figure out where my lane is.. and putz along.. 

What's not to like about snow if you don't have to shovel it or drive in it?

Shoveled my 5" today. It was about 5°. It's warmed up to 12°, but it supposed to get really cold tomorrow.

I was walking through the woods with the dog last night and with the desiccated snow it sounded like I was walking on Styrofoam. Just loud 'squeaks'. So much nicer to walk on new fallen snow when the temps around 25°, nice and quiet with just a 'crunch' sound. Always amazed at how loud it is to walk on snow. You'd think it would be quiet?

As a kid I would walk through snow carrying an old .22 looking for rabbits. The snow would crunch and it was deadly quiet. I could hear the old steam locomotive blowing at a crossing whistle long before I could ever see it. Sound carried a long way over the prairie. Not sure if I found a rabbit or not.

23 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Yeah, and it's almost always the starter.. where you have to get on the ground to get to it... LOL

My point exactly. I have only had one flat tire in 50 years and it was on a slushy, muddy unlit country road at 8500 ft. elevation about midnite. Color me "not happy". Oh, and we had been out that evening to a formal get together requiring me to be dressed in a suit and tie with my best pair of Tony Lamas. I HATE snow!

Big

Edited by octoolguy

12 hours ago, Rockytime said:

The snow would crunch and it was deadly quiet. I could hear the old steam locomotive blowing at a crossing whistle long before I could ever see it.

There is nothing like walking through the woods after a snow with the quiet and nature.  There is just an unwieldy feeling.  And at night with a new snow and a bit of moon you do not need a flashlight.  Any sounds carry forever.

All that said, I am glad to be retired and not have to drive in the snow.  We got 6" of snow yesterday and will be -22 F tonight.  And the power was out for two hours yesterday.