New sanding option

orangeman

I have been using a 3 M fine sanding wheel  in a Delta variable speed lathe to sand all my puzzle pieces.

Lathe is set to 1750 rpm as it won't burn cherry at that rpm.

Then I discovered I had a slow speed bench grinder which is 1725 rpm. Purchased from Woodcraft several years ago for under $100.

So I ordered a 5/8" - 11 drill chuck and it fits perfectly on the grinder!!!!!!

I tested it today with great results.

I will now use the slow speed grinder for sanding puzzle pieces!!!!!

And will put the Delta midi lathe up for sale.

Was considering the Foredom variable speed sanding lathe  but no need now.

bb

I sand either on my Shopsmith or my drill press 

On the Shopsmith, I use a pneumatic drum sander, Mac Mop, regular mop sander and buffing wheels.   I like to be able to turn the speed way down at times.  

My drill press gives me 50 -5000 rpm  and use mainly with sanding or Mac Mops and small drum sanders.

I'm kinda in about the same boat, Woodmaster. I've 3 palm sanders and a ROS I use for the biggest share of my scroll saw project sandin'. I've got two Dremels I rarely use for tight spot sandin', if I need to. 

I make my glue ups just wide enough to fit my 12 1/2" Griz planer. If I am doin' a larger project that requires more than one or two glue ups, I make them so that when the final glue up is done, I will have the total project size. In the meantime, after each glue up sets clamped over night and I have all the pieces, I run them all thru the planer down to the same thickness, then run the pieces thru the drum sander to smooth out any snipe, and splintered spots. Then those pieces go to the project table for finish sanding, cleaning, tape and pattern placement.

It sounds complicated, I reckon, and lots of planin' & sandin', but when yer shop ain't but 400 sq. ft.and full of "toys", ya take things in steps, and work everything ya can for certain projects all at once when possible to prevent setbacks.

My lathes do not get used for anything but lathe work. Otherwise, they set  covered up in the shop.

Sawdust703(brad)

Rockytime , yes it is the 2" spindle mount mop from Klingspore. I love em. 

Sawdust,  When I first started doing Intarsia I used a set of pneumatic drums in my Lathe. The problem with that is it is up too high, also I don't like working with a vertical drum on a drill press. So after a visit with Judy Gale Roberts I built my own pneumatic drum sander setup.