Excalibur EX-II is it any good?

Northerner

i need your help everyone, i have a chance to buy an early 90's Excalibur EX-II scroll saw and i dont know anything about them

so im hoping you all do? please give me the pros and cons of it, does it run smooth? fast & easy blade changes? pinless i think?

3 groove pulley for different speeds? are parts still available?

please give me any and all info

thanks

I don't know much specifically about the Excalibur EX11. But I know the Excalibur in tends to be the Cadillac of scroll saws. Is it the purple one? If its the 90's, that is a bit old. I'd imagine there has been significant changes since then. I would give it a test drive if possible.

• 2 months later...
I'd personally steer clear of any machine that relies on pulleys for speed variation.

Thats an important factor, something that you want to do on the fly, not stop your project and swap gears.

Just a thought on this, however. There are motor control units that will electronically adjust the speed of a motor - they're often sold for routers but there is no reason they won't work on other motors. If you bought one of these to use on your antique scroll saw, you could adjust the pulleys for the maximum speed you'll ever used and then slow down the motor electronically to the speed you want.

I'd personally steer clear of any machine that relies on pulleys for speed variation.

Thats an important factor, something that you want to do on the fly, not stop your project and swap gears.

Just a thought on this, however. There are motor control units that will electronically adjust the speed of a motor - they're often sold for routers but there is no reason they won't work on other motors. If you bought one of these to use on your antique scroll saw, you could adjust the pulleys for the maximum speed you'll ever used and then slow down the motor electronically to the speed you want.

I tried this on my AMT...It doesn't work unless it is a motor with brushes... the variable speed controler started smoking pretty bad :o

Yeah, you have to be careful with add-on variable speed controls. They adjust speed by manipulating current, and some motors, not set up to do that, don't take kindly to that.

Even if its manually adjusted, I wouldn't rule the thing out just for that, if the price is right.

I used to have the Delta P20 which used they pulley system to control its speeds, I had no problems with it. I never had to stop the project to change gears, you get to know what speed you need for the timber you are cutting and just set it before you start.