How to break apart glued pieces

edward

I had to do this with a coffee table I made - it was a real PITA but better than rebuilding the whole piece.

What I did was:

First I tried Vinegar - only thing this achieved was saturating the wood and made it brittle while trying to separate it.

Also tried water = see the vinegar issue above!

What worked for me was:

Using a heat gun I "warmed" the area where the glue was (don't get it too hot to burn the wood), then using a thin blade (I used an exacto) I sliced and pried at the warmed glue, while slowly separating the the glued pieces

Over all this took me about an hour or of consistently working at it - but it was better than 12+ hours of rebuilding the table!

Hope that helped

Edited by new2woodwrk

1 hour ago, new2woodwrk said:

I had to do this with a coffee table I made - it was a real PITA but better than rebuilding the whole piece.

What I did was:

First I tried Vinegar - only thing this achieved was saturating the wood and made it brittle while trying to separate it.

Also tried water = see the vinegar issue above!

What worked for me was:

Using a heat gun I "warmed" the area where the glue was (don't get it too hot to burn the wood), then using a thin blade (I used an exacto) I sliced and pried at the warmed glue, while slowly separating the the glued pieces

Over all this took me about an hour or of consistently working at it - but it was better than 12+ hours of rebuilding the table!

Hope that helped

Good info. Thanks.