Anyone used a Porter Cable scroll saw?

RabidAlien

My old Dremel scroll saw finally cut its last hole last night (motor mount casing broke where the mount attaches to the saw body).  Amazon.com has a Wen for $105, but Harbor Freight has a PorterCable saw for $95 plus 20% coupons.  I've heard stories about HF quality (buy it cheap, buy it often), and have read good things about the Wen here on the forums.  HF reviews for their saw are generally good, but quite a few bad reviews as well, so I was wondering if anyone here had any personal experience with a PorterCable saw?  I've got one of their drill presses, which seems to work okay for poking holes in things, but I tend to prefer to buy now and use until it falls apart (like the Dremel!).  I know there are better saws, but until I can afford a DeWalt or Excalibur, I need one that will work with a minimum of hassle.

https://www.harborfreight.com/16-in-variable-speed-scroll-saw-62519.html

I am looking forward to a greatly expanded variety of blades available in the 5" range, though....there's just not much out there in the 3" size that my Dremel limited me to.  :)

I had a porter cable and it was a pretty good entry level saw. However, the link you gave was for a central machinery saw and I don't know much about that one.

From the looks of it, it only takes pinned blades. They would probably be a huge step up from your 3" dremel blades, but if you get a saw that can do pinless blades you will be much happier in the long run.

Edit: I looked at the manual on the harbor freight. It does have adapters to use pinless blades. 

Edited by MrsN

5 minutes ago, MrsN said:

I had a porter cable and it was a pretty good entry level saw. However, the link you gave was for a central machinery saw and I don't know much about that one.

From the looks of it, it only takes pinned blades. They would probably be a huge step up from your 3" dremel blades, but if you get a saw that can do pinless blades you will be much happier in the long run.

Edit: I looked at the manual on the harbor freight. It does have adapters to use pinless blades. 

You're right on the brand.  I saw the "compared to" link over on the right and my braincell got confoos'd.  :)  It happens a lot.  I've noticed that most of the 5" blade machines will take either pin-ended or pinless blades, which I'm excited about, but I still want something that's reliable and will last.  I'm getting into some really detailed cutting, trimming very thin lines, and don't want to be replacing a saw every year.

My saw is a 23 year old Hitachi CM40. It's a very good saw, still runs like a top. I am starting to have troubles with it occasionally, since they don't make it any more and parts are obsolete, so have been shopping for a replacement.  Being on a fixed income I cant afford a 788. Scroll Saw Woodworking magazine did an article on the Porter Cable and gave it high reviews. Also, Steve Good did a review, (video on you tube), and he also gave it a good review. A buddy of mine bought one at Lowes ( $199 plus tax) and he loves it. He had an issue out of the box. The lower blade holder was stripped. He called Porter Cable directly, they wasted no time sending him a replacement blade holder. Then he was off to the races! My new saw (hopefully this week) will be the new Porter Cable.

I hope this helps you. Good luck and happy scrolling.

The PC saw comes from the same stable as the Hitchai and I used a CW40 for many years with no problems. My annoyance with it was blade changes. Required a 3mm hex head. Hopefully, Porter changed that and went tool less. 

Definitely an upgrade for some, but as I said the CW40 was a solid performer. As you know, even an inexpensive saw will work better with quality blades (and determination from the driver).

I've never operated a Central Machinery brand saw, but that same saw is sold under various brand names.  My biggest concern would be vibration and blade travel.  A few years ago, I was given a saw that was very much like that one.  It was a Performax brand, but other than color, it looked exactly the same.  It was unusable and I gave it back.  There was so much vibration and blade wobble, plus the table wasn't flat, making squaring up the blade impossible.  The one I had didn't take plain end blades, so I researched and ordered kits to convert them.  They didn't fit and it wouldn't have been worth the effort anyway.

Now I'm not saying that the Central Machinery saw in your link will be the same dumpster fire that the Performax was, but I'd be real leery of any saw of that style.  It may be a step up from what you are currently using, but don't have high expectations for it.

I know that you probably already have done this but if not, DO check out Craigslist in your area. I watch it on a daily basis and there are quite a few great used saws on there. Especially in the price range that you are looking for. I only follow the better grade of saws always looking for that great price. Anyway, check it out and see if you can find somebody's cast off.

Here is one example of what I'm talking about.
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/tls/d/santa-clarita-porter-cable-variable/6826070156.html

Edited by octoolguy

15 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

I know that you probably already have done this but if not, DO check out Craigslist in your area. I watch it on a daily basis and there are quite a few great used saws on there. Especially in the price range that you are looking for. I only follow the better grade of saws always looking for that great price. Anyway, check it out and see if you can find somebody's cast off.

Here is one example of what I'm talking about.
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/tls/d/santa-clarita-porter-cable-variable/6826070156.html

:)  First thing I checked.  Most of the saws for sale in the Austin area are either incredibly old and still priced at or more than the Wen from Amazon, or DeWalt's that are well used and not much less than a new DeWalt.  I try to check CL about once a week but it seems like the scrollers here aren't giving up their saws.

1 minute ago, RabidAlien said:

:)  First thing I checked.  Most of the saws for sale in the Austin area are either incredibly old and still priced at or more than the Wen from Amazon, or DeWalt's that are well used and not much less than a new DeWalt.  I try to check CL about once a week but it seems like the scrollers here aren't giving up their saws.

Maybe the only good thing about living amongst 30 million people. They sell a lot of stuff. Some of it is actually not stolen.

1 minute ago, octoolguy said:

Maybe the only good thing about living amongst 30 million people. They sell a lot of stuff. Some of it is actually not stolen.

There's a guy selling a newer Dremel scroll saw, utilizing the 5" blades, for $90.  Still in the box, said he only used it twice....I get leery when the ad stipulates meeting in a parking lot and only taking cash. 

Form my own personal use,don't buy a Porter Cable,I had one,and within 2yrs it was acting up,slowing down,speeding up,jerking,stopping.I was doing everything I was suppose to do to take care of it.all the proper maintance. They have 2 Special screws.top and bottom.adjustment screws.one you can adjust the other you can't My advice,don't buy the Porter Cable.:boo:

51 minutes ago, RabidAlien said:

There's a guy selling a newer Dremel scroll saw, utilizing the 5" blades, for $90.  Still in the box, said he only used it twice....I get leery when the ad stipulates meeting in a parking lot and only taking cash. 

Heck, that's standard operating procedure here. I'm too trusting. I openly invite folks to come here to buy/pickup whatever I'm selling. But, there is usually some conversation prior to that. I've been around for a while and sort of know what to look for. Oh, and I usually carry a .357 too.

21 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Heck, that's standard operating procedure here. I'm too trusting. I openly invite folks to come here to buy/pickup whatever I'm selling. But, there is usually some conversation prior to that. I've been around for a while and sort of know what to look for. Oh, and I usually carry a .357 too.

9mm here.  :)  We've had folks over to our house to buy stuff, and always let them fire it up and run it prior to paying. 

5 minutes ago, RabidAlien said:

9mm here.  :)  We've had folks over to our house to buy stuff, and always let them fire it up and run it prior to paying. 

Here too. Never a problem but there may come a day and I guarantee you that they will be very sorry. I keep the first chamber full of snake shot. But the second one is all business.

My WinTheLottery wishlist is topped by various works of art that go *bang* when a lever is pulled.  My next one will be a single-stack 1911 .45, either a Colt or MagnumResearch (ie, Desert Eagle)...those just fit my hand the best.  Mine are chambered with hollows....cuz if its not chambered, its just an awkward chunk of metal.

I still have a porter cable that I gave to my son and we use as a back up saw to cut hardwood and it's still kicking after almost 3years. I had to change the tensioner bolt after little use. I replaced it with a machine grade bolt and no more issues.the motor gets a little erratic after a while but it calm out when it warms up.

I tried a Wen last year. purchased just to cut my stacked Ornaments into easy handling size and take some wear and tear off my Seyco. Seemed like a well made little machine. Had a very small table. The pinned blades were not to bad to change but the pinless were almost impossible. I made one or two cuts and returned the saw.

grizz 

6 hours ago, Jim McDonald said:

The PC saw comes from the same stable as the Hitchai and I used a CW40 for many years with no problems. My annoyance with it was blade changes. Required a 3mm hex head. Hopefully, Porter changed that and went tool less. 

Definitely an upgrade for some, but as I said the CW40 was a solid performer. As you know, even an inexpensive saw will work better with quality blades (and determination from the driver).

My CM40 is tool less blade change. The new PC is also.

2 hours ago, RabidAlien said:

My WinTheLottery wishlist is topped by various works of art that go *bang* when a lever is pulled.  My next one will be a single-stack 1911 .45, either a Colt or MagnumResearch (ie, Desert Eagle)...those just fit my hand the best.  Mine are chambered with hollows....cuz if its not chambered, its just an awkward chunk of metal.

I used to compete in military 3-gun competition. I have a High Standard Trophy model .22 bull barrel for that part of the competition and two 1911's for the other 2 parts. One has an extended front sight and both have Bowmar rear sights. Both of them have been highly accurized with 3 lb. trigger pulls. I came within 5 points of making the Olympic Team back in the early 80's. I also competed in precision air pistol and actually won the state championship once. That pistol is the most expensive gun I ever purchased. Back then, it set me back over $500. Made in Germany. The pellet exited the barrel at over 600 feet per second. I sure miss them days.

I started with a porter cable, it is tool free blade mounting, and takes both pinless and pinned blades.  I still works fine,

The only complaint is minor, the hockey puck in the center of the table, at least 3 years ago when I started anyway, is slightly lower than the deck.  easily fixed with a playing card or make a new one slightly thicker.

Sorry 'bout the mixup in the post title, y'all, the Porter-Cable saw was a link on the page for the CM saw, but apparently had caught my eye since I know the brand.  It was still a bit out of my price range.  I went ahead and ordered the Wen from Amazon, all of the older, cheaper models I found online were not really upgrades from the Dremel, the Wen at least uses 5" blades (pinless or pinned).  It should be here tomorrow, really looking forward to getting back out and testing it!  Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

16 hours ago, RabidAlien said:

Sorry 'bout the mixup in the post title, y'all, the Porter-Cable saw was a link on the page for the CM saw, but apparently had caught my eye since I know the brand.  It was still a bit out of my price range.  I went ahead and ordered the Wen from Amazon, all of the older, cheaper models I found online were not really upgrades from the Dremel, the Wen at least uses 5" blades (pinless or pinned).  It should be here tomorrow, really looking forward to getting back out and testing it!  Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

It's all good.

We had a nice conversation about different saws. LOL