This one is throwing me a curve.

jerry1939

I have made 5 Forest Wren bowls a few years ago.  Kept the 1st one & gave away the rest.  One recipient told me the glue was separating on hers, so we traded our good one & will repair her old one when our unheated Iowa garage warms up.  The sides are intact, as is the base, but they separated.  I was able to easily cut the remaining glue holding the 2 together.  The base has a horrendous bend in it.  When turned up side down, it's like a rocking horse.  

For construction, I took each individual side  piece, masked the bottom for later gluing & sprayed clear on what was later to be inside.  Also masked the top edge of the base (as pictured) and applied clear.  Used Elmer's to glue the side ring to the base & finished applying clear.  

Checked with the other people and theirs are fine.  This Lady said that there is very early sun shining on hers.  I forgot to ask what the humidity is in her home.  In Iowa, we had A LOT of polar vortex weather.  She has hot water heat & we have forced air.  We live about 10 miles apart.

Thoughts ????

jerry

DSCN0686.JPG

DSCN0692.JPG

Bowl 1.JPG

One thing I noticed on your tray is that the grain in the layers of the bottom are at right angles.  This can cause warping since the individual pieces of wood will expand/contract at different rates with or across the grain.  This is why plywood will have an odd number of plies, which will "balance" this warping.  I suspect, however, that the major cause of the warping is the direct sunlight on the wood, which dried out the upper layer of the bottom more than the lowest layer.  It shrunk more than the other, which caused it to bow upward.  If that is the case, then letting it set in a shady spot for a period of time might allow it to flatten again, as the moisture contents become more similar.

Hi, Jerry,
I agree with the points that jollyred pointed out and I also agree with your
suggestion about the humidity change from your home to hers is also
a contributor.
I hope you can salvage this piece. It is absolutely beautiful work and a shame
that you are experiencing problems with just this one.

God Bless! Spirithorse

When I  look at the rings on the bottom two layers they are both crowned or cupped the same way.  In other words the curved grain lines curve up on the outer edges.  To reduce curving one should be curving up and the other down.  Hope this makes sense. I wonder if on the others the crown is correct.