Water based clear coat ?

sullyscroller

I've been using water based clear finish on most of my stuff for years now . I like it for three reasons 1st its less expensive than say Deft or other laquer finishes & 2nd I use a spray gun to do my finishing so cleanup is fast & i dont have to buy mineral spirits or figure out what to do with the used spirits , I just throw the water out on my gravel drive, Lastly the fumes from water based don't leave me in the clouds, when i spray i can be out in my shop for hours . Has anyone else used this and had any long term experience or drawbacks besides it raising the grain slightly ?

• 2 weeks later...

what kind of spray gun are you using?

I'd like to get away from the laquer if it's possible, water based would be so much easier for the reasons you mentioned. plus my shop is in my garage, which is attached to my house and when I spray paint or clear coat my whole house smells like that stuff. I use a respirator and open the door but it still stinks up the whole house.

ever use water based paint through your spray gun? if so tell us about it.

some of my projects have required a colored back ground (multiple layer fretwork project) and again I hate spraying with toxic paints.

thanks

Mike

Sorry it took so long to reply been cutting for christmas . Ok the first coat i use Olympic sanding sealer ,it is water based . I let it dry for a few hours or till the next day the sand lightly . Water based does tend to raise the grain slightly but a quick sanding with 220 grit on my orbital does the trick. Then for my second coat i use Minwax water based Polycrylic clear gloss . Usually one coat of the minwax is all it takes . It goes on with a little milky look but dries clear. To make sure i get perfect coverage i have a clip on light shining down on what im spraying and i use the reflection to make sure there are no "holidays". This coat i give at least 8 hors before i handle it, I hate fingerprints. The spray gun i use is a Cambell Hausfeld but any good spray gun will work. Mines the 1 quart can style. Ive found that useing 30 psi works best but lower psi works too. I make the spray pattern as tight as possible .for cleaning i spray three different times at 90 psi changing the water each time. thats what works for me and the fumes are zero ,as far as the black background i have sprayed the minwax right over latex paint with no problems. Ron

• 2 weeks later...

with this HVLP system you can't adjust the air pressure, it's a constant 10psi. however the gun is highly adjustable (at least based on my novice experience anyway) I found that using the more centered pattern instead of the horizontal or vertical fan pattern works really well. at first I was putting too much clear on and getting runs, but I've dialed it in pretty good now and I'm really liking this thing!

Try using a clip on light to make sure you get even coverage using the reflection to see how much you put on . Also i took a piece of osb and shot brad nails true to set my pieces on as they dried . It holds them up and they don't stick on the bottom, so i spray btm first then flip it and spray the top.Ron